Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I have a Denon AVR-1604 which has been stored while. When I

Customer Question

I have a Denon AVR-1604 which has been stored for a while. When I turn it on it does normal things for about 5 or 6 seconds then turns itself off and leaves the red power LED blinking. Can you help me? I am competent with a soldering iron and have (although hardly use) an oscilloscope.
Thanks
Justin
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack, my name is***** are your extra questions?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Actually posted here by mistake bu lets see what we can do

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Was the denon working when you stored it ?

How long was it stored and how long has it been plugged in now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant really remember if it was working or not. I think it was. We moved to France 3 years ago and I've only just got round to refitting it. I wanted it in for Christmas with the family.
I did have all the speakers connected quite correctly I thought and a few inputs from the TV and DVD via phono jacks (red, white and yellow).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have nothing but the power lead connected now. Still the problem persists.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then right now this could get tricky , if this unit was not working when it was stored then anything internally could cause this .

If it was working then perhaps we could be talking about dried up/vented caps that do not like to be left unused for extended period and who may just come back to life after a few days being powered but I would not count on that too much .

Right now the only thing I could offer is the reset procedure and if that doesn`t work then it would mean repairs and I`m sorry but this type of repair has to be done hands on , I cannot possibly guide you through the circuitry from here .

Here is the reset procedure and then I will opt out and repost your question , I posted here by mistake anyway .

1 Switch off the unit and remove the AC cord from the wall

outlet.

2 Hold the following SPEAKER A button and B button, and plug

the AC cord into the outlet.

3 Check that the entire display is flashing with an interval of

about 1 second, and release your fingers from the 2 buttons

and the microprocessor will be initialized.

NOTES:

• If step 3 does not work, start over from step 1.

• If the microprocessor has been reset, all the button settings are

reset to the default values (the values set upon shipment from

the factory).

Good luck

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if that does anything

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, I done it several times and still the same.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then you would need a local tech. and I`m not sure this would be a good idea VS a new unit .

They came down in price quite a bit and denon is still an excellent choice , that is what I have myself

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Now I can repost your question for other techs to see but I would be very surprised anyone here can offer more than what I just gave you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you in the US?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Actually in Canada , Ottawa, ontario

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I will repost your question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just wondering what kind of cost I'm looking at? Money is tight as always! What would be an equivalent model today? I bought this one when I was at University many years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help Jack if you can still see this.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I can still see and reply to this , I just posted your question and as I suspected no one is coming forward so I will opt back in

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

As far as repair goes now I will be talking in US dollars and you will have to translate that to euro .

In the USA , depending on the parts required of course but say for a common problem like a defective channel output circuits you could expect a near $200 repair.

The French may have different rates but one thing I`m fairly sure they also have would be a low or free estimate so you would have nothing to lose taking it to a shop for an estimate and take it from there .

As far as new denon goes then the AVR-S or AVR-X serie would be a good choice .

For example you can get the AVR-S900 (900 watts) for around $350 and its a 7.2 surround system , the avr-s700 is the same receiver but with 200watts less and sells below $300