Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

All of a sudden front screen where it tells you what mode

Customer Question

All of a sudden front screen where it tells you what mode the receiver is in has gone black. It still responds to the remote to turn on and tv is still working. the red light is on when receiver is off, and it does go white when on, just in that led area or what ever you call that where it says, cable, or blue ray or whatever, that is black!! just happened all of a sudden.
Thanks for your help in this.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What Brand and Model receiver are you referring to?

Also, how long have you owned it for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Denon AVR-X1100W1 year
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Under one year or over- it's important.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

We can skip past that for now. Let's see if the receiver is indeed defective first.

Have you tried disconnecting the unit from power for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in?

Also, have you tried a full reset of the processor yet? Let me know and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just checked receipt, it is just over one year old by 1 month
yes unplugged and replugged
don't know how to do full reset
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that's not good news that unplug/replug did not work.

There's only one hope at getting the display to come back on and that's a full reset to factory settings.

To do this, shut the unit off. Then press and hold Tuner preset +, and Tuner preset - on the front of the receiver itself, while simultaneously pressing power once. Hold the Tuner Preset buttons, and release the power button. Once the display starts blinking "Initializing" release the Tuner Preset buttons.

Try this up to three times if the first 1 and 2 do not work. Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel comfortable doing this
that means it won't be synced anymore with all my network and other stuff
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No, but you know what- if you don't try it your only other option is to send it to Denon for service. So, I'm not sure what else to offer you here. You can either try to fix it yourself, or send it off and it would be out of pocket since you're out of warranty.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Or....

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You can call Denon and DILIGENTLY complain. This receiver is BARELY out of warranty, and the symptoms you have are hardware related. There are no settings or buttons you can press to get the display to come back on, and the reboot above is the ONLY thing on a user level you can try. Let me get you their number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks anyway, please refund my $5, think I will go to where I bought and let them handle this
Thanks for trying, was hoping there might have been an easy answer as to why display had gone black
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Denon:

1(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I have nothing to do with refunds- Independent tech here, not a site employee. You can sort your own billing the same way you got here after paying the deposit- customer service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the number!!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. If you're still there- a colleague of mine gave me something for you to try.

On the remote- try ANY of the colored buttons (Soundmode) besides PURE DIRECT. He informed me that accidentally hitting PURE DIRECT will shut off the Denon's display. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find anything on my remote that says pure direct. All of this happened when I dropped the remote and had to reach to get it and thought I hit bunch of buttons cuz nothing worked. took batteries out and it began working other than the display. so this is why I think it is something i caused. but can't find pure direct on remote or recover itself,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
realized the remote that i am talking about is the "Harmony" remote that they synced everything with.
But did just get out the actual Denon remote, but still don't have any button that says pure direct
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hang on.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Find the row of buttons on Denon remote that says Movie...etc. then has PURE at the right. Hot ANY of those buttons to the left of it. Let me know.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Movie, Music. Game, Pure- hit any one besides PURE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did find that it says pure. think I already pushed it
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Don't push Pure- push ANY of the buttons to the left of it. Music, Movie, etc. not PURE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i push any of the others, menu just comes up on TV display does not light up
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to menu in settings and found display, but doesn't give me the option for dimmer, to see if it got turned off and when i push the dimmer button on the receiver nothing happens, so can't tell if got turned off
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Are you still around , still need help ?