Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I am getting a UE22 error and no sound from my VSX-53

Customer Question

I am getting a UE22 error and no sound from my VSX-53 receiver.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this error indicates that the firmware is corrupted. This may be because a firmware update was attempted and failed (interrupted power or network connection) or because of an underlying hardware fault (defective eeprom chip). Sadly in almost all cases, this is a "fatal error" meaning it requires significant repairs and ultimately the receiver needs to be replaced.

There are 2 steps you can attempt to resolve this, to factory reset the unit, and to then manually update the firmware.

Power it off, press the ENTER button on the front panel, and hold it down while powering back on.

Use the preset <> buttons on front to highlight RESET, press Enter, then again to confirm.

Power off, then CLICK HERE for the update instructions,

and HERE for the update file (click on firmware, then download the file and follow instructions)

Note: the pioneer site seems to be down at the moment, so you'll have to wait for it to come back up again before you can go through the update.

If the system won't let you install the update, or the error continues, it confirms an internal fault.

Pioneer will not warranty this fault either, unfortunately. At that point, you'll have 2 options:
Send it in to factory service, about $400, to have the main board replaced,

or replace the receiver. For a 4 year old model with this fault (which could very well happen again), I would be much more inclined to spend my money on a new receiver with updated features and a fresh warranty. I can advise on service or replacement options for you, if you'd like.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Note: I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.