Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

My new Roku 4 will not play digital audio over HDMI thru my

Customer Question

my new Roku 4 will not play digital audio over HDMI thru my rx v673...Roku says this is because the receiver does not support HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2...my receiver is about 3 years old..is this one true and if so is there a way around this problem so that I don't have to buy a new receiver? I am currently using a Roku 3 that works great using the receiver to switch HDMI.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. That is not true, your receiver has HDCP, and is only incompatible with non-HDCP devices. HDCP has to do with the video, and it's only the digital signal. It seems like Roku is sending an incompatible signal to your receiver. There are a couple of ways around this...

First, you can use an optical cable from Roku to your receiver. Set your input to look at the optical connection, and you should have audio.

If that still doesn't work, let's use an audio extractor and convert the signal to analog. That is always a way around HDCP on any device. Because it is no longer digital, the receiver can't tell the difference. Click here for the converter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ROKU says that they are using HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2...the optical connection is intermittent...and unuseable...the ROKU 3 uses HDCP 2.0 and works well thur the receiver...the receiver passes the video via HDMI using the RUKU 4 but not any of the digital coding formats...
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, and Roku 4 is brand new. It's likely Roku is using advancements that aren't compatible yet. The decoding of new technology will either require a new receiver, or the audio extractor that I mentioned. The device doesn't recognize HDCP, so it will pass the audio.

In order to be completely compatible with HDCP 2.2, you'll need a 4k system. It's a major upgrade, I would recommend the audio extractor in your case.