Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have the Onkyo TX 806 receiver the front 3 speakers work

Customer Question

I have the Onkyo TX 806 receiver the front 3 speakers work as they should the sub works fine But what am I not doing as I can't get sound from my 2 rear speakers in surround sound I have it set on PL11x movie no rear sound on movies This receiver was new in the box when I purchased it yhis year from a dealer that was closing shop.any suggestions. is there something I have not set correctly Thanks *****
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello Don, the rear surrounds do not work all of the time- and others will be very quiet depending on what source you're viewing from. Some movies have no surround info, some simply have special effects (like glass breaking, helicopters, explosions, etc.). In order to know WHY your surrounds aren't working- I need to know what is connected to the Onkyo as a "Source"- and using what type of cabling? For example: Cable Box connected with an Optical Cable, etc.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't use the phone call feature- and the site charges you extra for that. Please simply reply back on this page and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Can you please tell me what's connected to the Onkyo so we can continue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's all hdmi and direct tv it was installed and setup by a precessional audio installers I know if the material isn't there. No rear sound. But I've tried bluejays with lots of rear sound meterial. Still no rear sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is optical cables
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

So no matter what's played on the system- there's no surround channel information.

What's connected to the rear surround jacks- are they hard-wired speakers, or some sort of wireless rear speaker sending device?

Also, when you setup the receiver and ran the test tones- did the rear channels emit sound then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's all hard wired and yes when set up the tech used the mike to set up and the tone came from all the speakers
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are the rear surround lights lit up on the display panel?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The left side of the display shows all of the speaker channels- which ones are lit up on the display is what I'm asking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The left front led rf and the boxs for the spkrs but there not lit up and it says lf rf and nothing else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to help ?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to reply back with the info requested?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

At 11:04 I asked you if the surround speaker icons are lit up on the front panel of the receiver, and still have not yet received a reply to that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None are lit up
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If none are lit up then there should be none playing. That does not make any sense. You're saying not even the front left center, front right or subwoofer are lit up on the display?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are displayed on the receiver but they are not lit up. Btw. When I bought this I had it checked out because it had set on a shelf for years and it cheeked out
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're going to need to reset the unit to factory defaults since there are too many possible settings that could cause this and also the processor may be locked up. Disconnect the receiver from power for 10 seconds then plug it back in, then do the following:

To reset the AV receiver/AV amplifier to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR] button, press the [ON/STANDBY] button.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll do this tomorrow. And I will text you tomorrow afternoon with results I do understand that if I go back to factory settings I should have surrounded again. I'm watching walking Dead. I'll execute your solution tomorrow and I will follow up tomorrow. Thank you DL
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You'll need to setup the receiver again as if it were new- by following the procedure from page 1 on in the manual, but your basic functions for surround should only take a few minutes, and the manual is at the link below:

http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net/ImageBank/v20080817132900/Manuals/580/580TXS806B.PDF

Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.