Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have an avr-2312ci. using ethernet connection to wireless

Customer Question

i have an avr-2312ci. using ethernet connection to wireless router. this setup has worked before for years. However, I just bought a new router and changed the network name/address and now I cannot connect to the network. There is no option to enter my new network password.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, First you're going to need to reset the Denon to factory defaults in order to get it to "clear" and allow you to enter the new network info- including the password. Have you done this yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. does that mean I will need to recalibrate the speakers, etc, etc?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please first disconnect the Denon from power for 10 seconds and plug it back in. Then refer to the manual on page 144 at the link below and follow the instructions for "Resetting of the Processor". Follow those steps and when the display flashes- release those buttons. The unit will then be in shipping condition and will require you to reaclibrate all of the settings in the unit as if it were new. This is the only way to get the receiver to allow you to enter your new login credentials for the router:

http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net/ImageBank/v20111011084500/Manuals/033/033AV2312C.PDF

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
didn't work
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What part didn't work- please elaborate where you're stuck?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

For instance, were you able to enter the network password ***** time??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i reset the receiver as directed by the manual... went through the set process... when I goto to the network setup, it set it was configured before it gave me the chance to choose a network or to enter a password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the typos... I reset the receiver as directed by the manual... went through the setup process... when I got to the network setup, it said that the network was configured before it gave me the chance to choose a network or to enter a password.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Refer to page 108 of the manual, then see if you can manually change the settings. If this does not work, then do you have another Ethernet cable you can try?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cable is fine. page 108 requires manual setup... lots of information that I don't have. How do i choose an IP address thats not already occupied by one of the hundreds of components in my house? etc.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you have 100's of components in your house connected to the router- then you're way over my head I don't even know how a single router could support 100's of components connected to your network. Let me see what else I can find.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 computers, 4 iPads, 4 iPhones, connected TV, connected AV receiver, connected thermostat, security cameras, home automation light controls, garage door controls, and I'm sure I am forgetting a few. Fact is, it may not be hundreds, but I would really rather not go research all of those devices to find their IP addresses, and then try to choose one that is in the range of the denon, but not occupied by something else. that will take all day, and I am sure produce unintended consequences that will be new problems to solve. I'm just trying to find a way to enter the network name and password ***** the receiver.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Is the router actually wired directly to the router? Meaning it is not connected instead to a wifi bridge, powerline adapter, extender, etc?

Note this is not a wireless capable router, so there is no such thing as a password ***** it, that doesn't apply here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the denon receiver is hard-wired to a wireless router. this scheme has worked for at least a couple of years on this very receiver. The only thing that has changed is that I have installed a new network with a new network name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ethernet cable between denon and wireless router. wireless router connected to home network base station wirelessly
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I understand that part, but the network name is ***** ***** issue here, it is the ip address, gateway, dns, etc and other settings on the new router that the denon ultimately has to pick up.

You'll need to be more specific about each device used here. What "wireless router" and what "home network base station" are you using?
What else is connected to this "wireless router" that you've mentioned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an Asus RT-AC87U wireless router that is connected directly to my cable modem. Attached to that network wirelessly, I have an Apply Airport Extreme (which is also a wireless router) and an Apple airport express (anther wireless router). the latter two are connected to the network that is controlled by the Asus router (which I am referring to as the base station). The denon AVR-2312CI is connected via ethernet cable to the Airport Extreme. This setup has been working for years. The only difference now is that the Asus router is new, and the network SSID is new.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so what else (if anything) is connected to the airport extreme?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Asus has multiple components connected to it wirelessly (listed above). The Airport extreme has only one component connected to it, the Denon receiver. The other three ethernet ports on the Airport extreme are empty.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Well the issue here is that the airport extreme has to be reconfigured to connect (bridge mode) to the new asus.

It most likely does not have that configured properly yet, and until that update is done, it can't relay a network connection to the denon.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You could confirm that by plugging another device (laptop, etc) into the extreme via ethernet only (disable wifi on that device first) to check if it can pull a connection or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the airport extreme is set up in the airport utility under "join another network". Should it be sent up under "extend another network" instead?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

There are a few options, you really need it in what is known ad bridge mode.

You do have to join another first, extending can be used in dual band mode as a wifi extender, or via ethernet. So you'd need to try th extend option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have discovered my problem: from apple forum: "Using an Ethernet cable, the AirPort Extreme can "extend" a wireless network if it connects to a third party router, but in order to "extend" using wireless only, you need another Apple router." In other words, airport extreme cannot work in bridge mode with an Asus router... only a Apple router. confirmed because the "bridge mode" selections are greyed out on the airport extreme, and a warning message has shown that the AE cannot establish na extension with the Asus router.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Was the old router an apple one (what the asus replaced)?
Yes, that is the cases, with the apple routers, the really only work well to bridge with other apple devices.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You really don't need an apple device for this purpose though, or really even a router, you just need a small wifi bridge device for the denon to connect to: http://amzn.to/1Wd1Ojn

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1e81djv

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,