How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Louie Your Own Question
Louie
Louie, Technician
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Satisfied Customers: 1086
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
Type Your Home Theater-Stereo Question Here...
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm not sure how this works - but I have a Denon DN-T620

Customer Question

Hello! I'm not sure how this works - but I have a Denon DN-T620 (combination CD/cassette deck). My problem is with the cassette deck. It played one side of a tape and the transport stops at the end of the tape - then will not play again. I took the top off and basically, if I manually turn the large black flywheel (at the bottom left of the cassette transport assembly) about a half turn - far enough to hear something engage - then the cassette will play (only) when pressing the Play button that points to the left.
If I Pause, or Stop the cassette player - it stops - and will not play again until I again (manually turn the large black flywheel gear behind the transport), to somehow 'reset' the transport. If I try to hit the Play button (that points to the right), it will not play at all.
I can see 2 belts in the back transport area - and cannot find any evidence of any other belt (that might be missing?).
I know this is about a 15 year old deck - I know the original owner did not probably put 20 hours on this whole unit.
Probably something simple - but was hoping you could help as it's driving me crazy.
Thanks,
David
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

. That reply was posted in error- please disregard.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom would stil and almost always point to a belt/motor issue or more particularly, possible suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:

• • low voltage to the motor (least likely);
  • • weak motor (likely);
  • • deformed / slipping belt(s) (most likely).

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Related Home Theater-Stereo Questions