Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a denon 5801 avr, audio does not work in the tv mode,

Customer Question

I have a denon 5801 avr, audio does not work in the tv mode, but does in all others ie dvd fm radio etc., what is happening?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV. Additionally, please describe how the TV is connected to the Denon using what kind of cable(s). Also is the TV directly connected to an antenna? ...or is there a cable box or satellite receiver used with it?

And is this a fresh/new install? ...or has it been working as a pair before and this issue of "..audio does not work in the tv mode..." just recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I built and installed this system, the Samsung TV has audio when I turn on internal volume of the tv. The audio is connected through the Denon with audio cablesL,R,Center. when I switch to DVD or am/fm audio works fine. No audio through the tv?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

As requested above, the TV's model number please. And does "...audio cablesL,R,Center..." mean 3 RCA-to-RCA cables from the TV to the Denon?

Would "... No audio through the tv..." perhaps mean from the TV through the Denon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct, no audio through the denon avr when set to tv, everything else works
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

... the TV's model number please. And does "...audio cablesL,R,Center..." mean 3 RCA-to-RCA cables from the TV to the Denon AVR-5801?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I turn off the the TV's mute I get audio from the tv. Antenna in to tv, audio out to the denon, audio from the denon to the external speakers which are Polk audio speakers. Again everything other than the tv audio works..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the speakers are 7.1 channel system..
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Not able to visualize the system with no specific model numbers.

Still, have you tried detaching the audio connectionsa from the back of the TV? ...set the Denon to TV mode and lightly touch the tip of the RCA plugs. Note if there would be a thump/humming sound from the Denon connected speakers.

Have you checked/replaced the audio connecting cables between the TV and the Denon?

Have you temporarily connected another source to these audio cables?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to try new audio cables from the tv to the denon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no hum on the speakers when the denon is in tv mode
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please; try new audio connecting cables.

And would "...no hum on the speakers when the denon is in tv mode..." be when touching the unconnected RCA plug tips?