Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a denon avr-e400. I bought a digixstream dx4

Customer Question

I have a denon avr-e400. I bought a digixstream dx4 streaming video box. It wont work hooked to my receiver but does when hooked to tv so I'm assuming there must be a reason why receiver doesnt see it but i cant make it work. Any ideas?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Have you tried connecting the Digitstream to a port previously known working on the Denon- say a port that a cable/sat box is used with an HDMI cable?

Also, the Denon is connected to your TV using HDMI as well I assume?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i used all the hdmi on rear of unit. Ones known to work and receiver has hdmi pass through.. every other thing i plug into reciver works except digixstream
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if you've tried other known working ports then this is an issue with the HDMI on the Digistream simply not handshaking with the Denon. There's no settings or adjustments that will correct this. You would want to try another HDMI cable first (even if this one works direct to the TV from the streaming box) since HDMI is very finicky. Beyond that, a workaround would be needed- either connect the streaming box directly to the TV, and then run an optical cable back from the TV to the Denon, or connect it directly to the TV and then use the SPDIF output to send an audio feed to the Denon to produce the sound from the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its already hooked to tv with hdmi and an optical audio cable is already in place. I have tried another hdmi cable already.. why not compatible?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I can't do a postmortem and determine why one company's codec doesn't communicate with another company's- only the engineers at Denon could answer that. There's not a button that can force the Denon to display from a certain source if the ports and cables are known working. If it does not work, then it's an HDMI handshake issue- which we run into in the field from time to time. There aren't any quick fixes for this, and seasoned installers like myself are at the mercy of the source designer when it comes to integration. If you've tried other cables, and multiple ports, you can attempt a processor reset of the Denon- keeping in mind you will need to set the unit back up as if it were new, but beyond that there is not a user level fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also try unplugging the Denon from power for 30 seconds or so as a soft reboot. If you've tried that, and need instructions on resetting the processor- let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried that yet. I will try in the morning.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I would definitely give that a shot. Beyond trying different ports, cables, soft reset and processor reset- that's all we can try on a consumer level.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?