Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I have a Sharp stereo system CD- dk890N. The power went off

Customer Question

I have a Sharp stereo system CD-
dk890N. The power went off 4 times one morning. Now, I can't shut down the screen that keeps flashing. Multiple things like Hello, CD change, classic, vocal, rock, pops, jazz, etc.
The only thing that I can do is unplug the unit. Help
***@******.***
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This would be consistent with the multiple outages you experienced.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2008 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising to see either.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the unit

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; unfortunately repairs are simply not feasible. There are no parts available for these systems, and labor costs alone can easily be $200+ at a local repair shop.

By contrast you could buy a brand new and updated system with a fresh warranty for around $150.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding (used) parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Your unit is in DEMO mode , with the unit plugged in and standby (not power on) ,press the XBASS/DEMO on the remote control and you`re done