Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Attempting to connect Denon AVR-2808CI to Apple TV wit HDMI.

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. Attempting to connect Denon AVR-2808CI to Apple TV wit HDMI. We have video but no audio. Suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: so i had this working the other night...
plugged the apple tv via HDMI into the HDMI 1 slot on the Denon AVR. (this is hardwired as the "DVD" slot, but I renamed it "APPLE TV." I also plugged my cable DVR into the HDMI "HDP" slot. Output HDMI goes to my TV (a panasonic monitor TH-42PS9UK). The audio comes from the receiver to a pair of Lynn speakers.
The cable DVR output is great - video and audio.
Last night I had the apple TV working nicely in its current slot as well - audio and video
But I've done some plugging and unplugging, I've done some programming of the Denon, and I've just completed a software update for the apple TV. (the apple TV is a generation 2).
personally, I think its the apple TV software update. but i
i'm just guessing
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Theater-Stereo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure - willing to wait. what do you mean help for less?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also - airplay is not working. last night, I had airplay working fine (audio, video, mirroring/extending the screen of my computer... all fine)Lastly - I also updated iTunes tonight to latest version.again, I think its a software issue. But you tell me...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) is to check/ensure that the AVR-2808CI is configured to produce sound from an HDMI source to the AMP's connected speakers.

Manual Setup / HDMI Setup / HDMI Audio Setup / AMP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep got that. again, the cable dvr is plugged in to the other hdmi slot and is working well - audio and video
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

Have you considered/tried a RESET of the Denon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no - what would that do?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern or a firmware issue; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmm - how would i know if the software updates for he apple tv and/or iTunes is a problem?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

As a process of elimination; since the Denon works "..cable dvr is plugged in to the other hdmi slot and is working well...", then a RESET of the Denon would ensure that its settings are configured to default and expectedly all HDMI sources would behave equally. If there is sound from the cable DVR but still none from the Apple TV, then the Denon is least likely to be the issue which then would point to the AppleTV and/or its related software as the most likely suspect.

Incidentally, have you tried unplugging the Apple TV for an extended period of time? ...the idea is to simulate a soft RESET.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I think i'd like to try unplugging the apple tv first. I'm just a little wary of reseting the Denon. It took a while to figure out how to do all of the settings in the first place (at least the cable DVR is working for now). ..I think I'll have to continue the conversation tomorrow . Getting late here.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand nd no prob; tomorrow or when able.

Additionally, another to try is to temporarily connect the Apple TV to where the cable DVR is plugged in just for test purposes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that. (i'm not trying to be difficult - i hope it doesn't come across that way). but its in the same slot that it was in last night when it was working well... crazy.ok thx
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Cheers.