Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I purchased a Pioneer surround sound receiver to use in my

Customer Question

I purchased a Pioneer surround sound receiver to use in my home theater. I connected the Cable box to the XBox using an HDMI cable, then connected the Xbox to the receiver using an HDMI cable (into the Cable/Sat port), then connnected the receiver to the projector using the HDMI cable out of the OUT TO TV port. I don't have any sound.
I do have sound to each speaker (verified when testing speakers and listening to ipod)
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hi, You cant connect the cable box to the Xbox- so not sure why that connection was made.

The Xbox needs to connect to the receiver using an HDMI cable.

Then the cable box connects to the receiver using an HDMI cable.

Depending on what TV model and what Pioneer model you have- ARC may not work, and you will need to run an optical cable from the TV to the Pioneer.

However we don't have any model numbers at all posted here, so please reply back with that and we can continue.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Did you need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I always have the cable box connected through the xbox. It is an Xbox One. this enables you to view the TV will playing a game. Its called SNAP.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then please reply back with the model number of the Pioneer and also the model number off of the back of the TV.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't use the phone call feature- the site charges extra and it doesn't help us with these problems, since I need to look up information which takes time. Please reply back with full model numbers of the devices (except the Xbox and Cable Box since those seem to be working together).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Pioneer VSX 830. I don't have a TV. I have a Projector Panasonic PT-AR100
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, the reason you don't have sound has to do with ARC- which is the audio return channel used on TV's. Looking up your projector to see if it has that feature, but it's not common with projectors.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The projector doesn't support "ARC" (audio return channel), which is how these receivers produce sound from HDMI. The full signal is sent out of the HDMI Out on the receiver, and then the TV has to return the audio portion of the signal to the receiver. You would think the receiver just processes the sound from HDMI In- but it doesn't work that way. You need a separate audio feed from the Xbox to the Pioneer in order to get sound (Optical works best). Not being 100% familiar with Xbox or game consoles- I'm not sure what dedicated audio outs it has? Is there an Optical jack?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If not that's no problem, there's a workaround- just asking if you could check that first.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It appears Xbox One only uses HDMI for audio out- assuming you have an Xbox ONE here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I resolved the problem.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If so, then you simply need an HDMI audio extractor. This inserts in line between the Xbox HDMI out and the receiver, then gives you an audio out.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Can I ask what you did to resolve the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
XBOX ONE audio set up was still set to the Optical cable out. Had to change set up to HDMI....
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, glad to hear you got it sorted.