Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My TX SR502 receiver, the standby indicator is lit. When I

Customer Question

My TX SR502 receiver, the standby indicator is lit. When I press the on/off control button the unit will stay on for about 3 seconds then shuts off.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, How long have you owned the receiver for and when did the problem occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 or 10 years, just happen today about 30 minutes ago
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. This can be caused by a hardware failure in the receiver in many cases, however it would be worth trying a hard reset.

First disconnect the receiver from power then disconnect all speaker wires from the unit. Then plug only the receiver back into power and attempt to power it up. Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If this does not work then the Onkyo has a hardware failure in the power supply circuit and requires repairs. The average cost for this type of repair is in the $200 range, which in most cases is more cost effective to purchase another receiver in lieu of repairs. However if you would like to have the unit repaired, you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

www.stereorepair.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your suggestion didn't resolve the problem.Keith
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Keith, It wasn't merely a suggestion- it was all you can try on a user level to fix this. If the receiver is still not powering up beyond 3 seconds and then clicking off, it's a hardware issue as mentioned above.