ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

I have lost volume control on my zones after a power outage.

Customer Question

I have lost volume control on my zones after a power outage. I have an old System ; hc-300 controller, multi tuner with xm, and 4 zone amp.
I established my IP address and have music playing from the tuner through the amp. I can change stations but not volume control. Can someone help me reestablish volume control?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
What have you tried so far?
First, try completely powering off all systems and network equipment, wait a few minutes, then turn it all on again and let me know if that helps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete. I cycled power and no luck. The amplifier losesMy remote has control of the hc-300 controller. The volume slider on the TV screen changes as per changes from the remote for each zone and the xm channel changes per the remote as well. However, no change in physical volume output at speakers. I'm leaning towards amplifier not being controlled by controller.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Can you adjust the amplifier volume on the amplifier itself, or by using the original remote control that came with the amplifier?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can adjust the volume using the "gain" on the amp. The remote control does not control the volume for the amp.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so it seems that there is some sort of fault within the amp itself, preventing it from receiving or processing certain IR signals. As it is quite an old model, it may be beginning to fail, and will require a full diagnostic service check to locate the cause of the fault and repair it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand it's older. It was literally two weeks ago before shutting the power of to the house for renovations. The amp appears to have 4 inputs (2 are digital).I am not really sure how the communication between the amp and controller was set up. I assume it's addressable through the control through IP. The controller is only showing one IP address (controller only).
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, when the power was turned back on after being shut off, were all devices connected to the wall power supply?

If so, it is possible that the amp was damaged by a brief power surge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was but I find it hard to believe that volume control through the remote control would be the only thing damaged. Is it possible that the remote needs to be programmed our synced with the amp?