Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a NAD M17 and M27. The M27 amp starting shutting off

Customer Question

I have a NAD M17 and M27. The M27 amp starting shutting off today while watching TV. Normally the M27 shuts off after a few minutes when muting the sound. It comes back on after unmuting. This is different. It's shutting off while the sound is on. There are no overheating lights on in the back of the amp which would indicate a channel overheating.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you checked the speaker / wiring? And have you tried all the CHANNELs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wires are connected. Speakers won't work because the amp is turned off. It turned off by itself while the TV was on and sound on. When amp cut off on it's own, the sound, of course, went off.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, what I meant was to individually check the speakers using a continuity tester (multi-meter) or in its absence, a single 1.5V AA battery. The idea is to determine if the speaker(s) would show a resistance or click (with the battery).

The alternative to good speakers/wires would be an internal hardware issue. The M27 then would have to be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

If so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Equally important, could you make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams?