Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a NB3532 sub woofer that was working just fine till

Customer Question

Hi, I have a NB3532 sub woofer that was working just fine till today, I noticed it made a few weird noises, then a hissing sound. I unplugged it, had to resync it with the Sound bar, it seems to be synced but no sound is coming out of it... Please help!
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its an LG product btw.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The hissing sound followed by failure to produce any sound at all, could be a sign of either

A. internal amplifier failure

and/or

B. reception failure of the Bluetooth connection.

I would say that (B) might be a bit more likely, since it now does not even produce a hiss. (Try turning its volume up to be sure of this.)

Also, try a reset of the sound bar. The fault might possibly be there, if you have no other wireless devices or Bluetooth devices working off of the sound bar. A reset of the sound bar would be as follows:

- while it is On, unplug it from the power, sharply and suddenly.

- leave it that way, unplugged from power and Off, for at least 1 hour.

- plug in again only after that interval, and try it out again, re-Sync-ing as necessary.

How old is the subwoofer? how old is the sound bar?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Im going to try reseting the sound bar as you describe, and the soundbar-woofer combo is maybe 5 months old, I will let you know what happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the subwoofer has its own power cable should I unplug it as well when I do it to the soundbar?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the Subwoofer too.

I'm glad to hear that they are both only 5 months since you purchased them - if so, they will still be protected by the manufacturer's warranty, since the industry standard warranty term is 1 year from purchase (barring a very few cheapo makers of electronic devices of the worse sort.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it, still no sound off of the subwoofer..
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then who is the maker (or, brand name) of the sound bar and subwoofer? B&O? or some other name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LG
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Go to this page:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/schedule-repair

and enter NB3532 in the Enter Model Number field at upper right, and then click on the matching model that is found, then you enter the serial #, the purchase date, and fill in the form otherwise, to request a repair - which since it is only 5 months old, should be covered by LG's warranty on its devices.

Please rate my answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Id like to take a more DIY approach to this, could it possibly be the fuse burned out? Or just amplifier? If so where could I find these parts? Thank you.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Why take the trouble to fix it yourself, when it is only 5 months old, and consequently repair-servicing would be entirely free-of-charge (I think - consult your warranty statement to be quite sure), if you sent it to the manufacturer, LG.

(...As for repairing it yourself, or rather: If I were repairing it myself, I would first determine, with an oscilloscope or at least an electronic voltmeter set to AC, where in the 'signal train' it ceases to transmit or amplify the sound signal... to see what stage of the signal train is interrupted by fault, fuse, broken amplifier, or other problem. )