Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

My onkyo tx nr 838 receiver turns itself off after a few

Customer Question

My onkyo tx nr 838 receiver turns itself off after a few seconds of being turned on. a audable click is heard when it turns itself off. What should i do?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The shut down is a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage.

This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself.

You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, power the receiver off, and disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.

Let me know the results and I'll advise further if needed.