Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

My RX-A2040 keeps switching inputs from AV1 or AV3 to

Customer Question

My RX-A2040 keeps switching inputs from AV1 or AV3 to Airplay and I don't want it to. Why is it doing this and how do I stop it?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What do you have connected to the yamaha currently?
Does this happen when initially set to any other source, such as tuner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Tivo connected via HDMI to AV1, a Bluray player via HDMI into AV2, and a Mac computer into AV3 via HDMI. It happens when using AV1 or AV3, not really on AV2.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay there are a few possible causes of this.

It may be a hdmi communication error (signal dropping out) from a source device, a hdmi control fault, or there may actually be an ios device on the network that is trying to connect and that is prompting the receiver over to airplay mode.

Do you have the receiver set up on wifi or ethernet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ethernet
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, can you please (temporarily) disconnect the ethernet cable, so it has no network connection, then observe if it still is switching to airplay?
This will help us to isolate the problem further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't been able to get back to the problem. I will try disconnecting the ethernet cable and let you know.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the cable and didn't see the problem again. I reconnected it and also didn't see the problem again.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that just the reconnect process was sufficient to reset the internal network controller (pulling a new ip address) and ultimately resolving any airplay conflicts with other devices on the network.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not really sure how the payment system works and I think Just Answers makes it confusing on purpose. I thought I was paying $5 or some free trial or something, not $36.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You pay an initial $5 deposit to post your question.

You would have agreed to a total value/fee for this specific question.

There is a free trial option, meaning if you opted to continue on with a monthly subscription, you'd get the first weeks worth of that for free, which would have ultimately included this question.

If you opt not to continue with a subscription, then you'd just have the original fee ($36 total) for this particular question session with me.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It is not intended to be confusing, the total $36 question cost (which is based on the urgency and level of detail that you indicate) should have been clear at multiple points along the way. Though the site does encourage the subscription option, it is not required.