Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an Avr s3100w. Pretty new. The receiver will

Customer Question

I have an Avr s3100w. Pretty new. The receiver will completely power off for periods of time. One hour to four hours. The red standby light disappears and the receiver is nothing more than a brick. The the red light glows (all of a sudden) and I'm good for a while. This is very frustrating. Any thoughts or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Tom
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand this is typically caused by a processor failing within the receiver- and it can work with no rhyme or reason. However in order to determine that, I need to ask you for some more information.

1) How long have you owned the Denon for and when did the problem occur?

2) Does the issue occur when the volume is turned up, and is the top of the receiver noticeably hot?

3) Have you reset the processor yet?

4) Have you removed, re-stripped and reconnected all speaker wires yet?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

These are all possible things that could cause this, but I would need to know what you've tried to determine this. It can be caused by a bare strand of speaker wire touching the chassis, the unit not having enough ventilation on the top (at least 2-3"), the speakers being too low of an impedance (in case the issue occurs when it's hot, or when the volume is turned up). It can sometimes be cured by resetting the processor (let me know if you've tried that), and beyond all of these things, it's a failure occurring within the receiver that will become worse until the unit no longer functions and requires service through Denon. Let me know what you've tried and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the demon for three months.
Volume is not high. Standard volume in a small room. No heat.
3 and 4 are no and no.
All ambient conditions are good. I have two other receivers with no problems. I use banana plugs and no bare wires.
I have not tried any remedy.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. Your speaker wires sound good- since binding posts are clean and would rule out the chances of any stray wires touching the chassis. Also, if heat is not an issue, then this would indicate the issue is either a hardware issue, or a processor glitch. You would want to first try the steps below to reset the unit to factory defaults (NOTE:The receiver will need to be setup as if it were new).

I am pulling up these instructions right now.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

To do this, disconnect the receiver from power, then plug it back in.

While off, press and hold "Tuner Preset +" and "Tuner Preset -" on the front of the unit itself (not the remote), while pressing power once. The display will then start blinking and then release the Tuner Preset buttons. If the display does not start blinking, then shut off the receiver and start the steps from the beginning. Once the display flashes, and the Tuner buttons are released, the processor will be reset.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

These are outlined on page 238 of the manual at the link below:

http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net/ImageBank/v20150527165000/Manuals/033/033AVX3100.PDF

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click a 5 star rating for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?