Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have worked with home theater systems for over 20 years.
11519491

Sound but no picture on Mitsubishi Ws-55805 on both

Customer Question

Sound but no picture on Mitsubishi Ws-55805 on both satellite and DVD. Also has a clicking sound
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, When did this issue occur with the set- was it after a storm or power outage?

Also, are you able to pull up the Mitsubishi's internal MENU using the original remote?

Is the Timer light on the front of the set blinking at all?

Additionally, the sound that you hear- is that from the TV or from an external sound system?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power outages and definitely no storms since I am in West Texas. I have a BrickWall power protector front ending the TV. Unable to pull up menu. Timer light not blinking. Sound is from TV since I have no AV receiver connected. Tried holding Menu and Input simultaneously with no results
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Holding MENU and Input will only work if the set's actually shut down (no audio- nothing), so we can't pull up an error code that way. If the MENU won't even display though, and you're getting some clicking (high voltage) from inside the set- there isn't a pushbutton fix- the TV is either locked up, or has a hardware failure.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 4 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried the procedure four times. Sound but no picture and clicking noise persists.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay the clicking would either be a relay or the high voltage transformer arcing trying to fire up the CRT's. Are you still getting audio, and what is the status of the timer light on the front of the set- same as before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sound Ok. No picture. Timer light is steady green. Clicking sound persists.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What's the extent of your tools and repair ability? These sets aren't the basic- swap a board like new LCD's are and most of the parts require soldering and testing (as well as following a schematic and voltage measuring). Or are you not looking to try to repair yourself and are instead looking for a repair estimate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have multi-tester, volt/amp meter, soldering equipment, ground straps and basic PC repair skils. I have no schematics or service manuals on this unit.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that is good to know since we have all level of service tech here, and also all level of customer. I personally do not work on rear projections on a PCB level- but work on tube audio gear, and also newer flat screens. That said, I'll opt out which allows all other techs to take a look and someone with the skills on older rear projections will chime in.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi different expert here.

If you have tried different cables to rule that out as the source of trouble, then the probability is the HDMI port on the TV. They fail and this is one of the main issues they will have especially on that model.

The port can be replaced easily but will require some rework , desoldering and replacing the port.

Its a mutiport and is easy to do if you have soldering experience.

Do you have a source for the part?

Thanks

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This particular model, built in 2001, does not have HDMI ports -- only component. I have swapped cables. The screen is black, not the normal blue on power up. No sign of any lamps being on when looking into the back cover. What is the common source of the "clicking" sound? Aric seemed to think it was power related.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi I agree with Aric on the power supply being the cause of the clicking. And given that is happening as well, its a good possibility that replacing the power supply board first will cure this problem as well. This is one of those times because if the power supply has a relay dropping out it isn't getting full power and cause a multitude of issues. If this were me, I would replace that board first and then see where we a re at;-)

If you need a good source for that board A good supplier is Sears parts Direct.

1-***-***-**** (Se Habla Español)

M-F 6:30 a.m. - 10*****/p>

Sat 7:00 a.m. - 9*****/p>

Sun 7:30 a.m. - 9*****/p>

In any case,and since this will take some time I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a part number for the power board? Is there a good source for the schematics?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi I can get you the schematics for the TV. But the part # ***** be different depending on who you get that from.

Some of the distributors use there own stock #.

And you can find the part # ***** your specific TV on the circuit board in the TV;-)

Tech Michael

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Also try Shop Jimmy: Toll Free: (877)(###) ###-####/a>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. thank you for the offer to supply the schematics. Will await. Appreciate the parts suppliers info.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi no problem I will stick with you but please rate kindly at this time so I can be sure we don't lose contact. Also I don't receive any compensation until you rate.

No cost to you to rate, and you can do that with confidence as your question will still be with me after then.

Thank you for your patience.

Tech Michael