Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a Pioneer VSX 521 receiver and the remote control

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer VSX 521 receiver and the remote control that came with it is no longer able to adjust the volume up or down. Other buttons we use on the remote work fine. I have changed the batteries in the remote control unit a couple of times without but no luck. I can manually adjust the volume on the receiver unit. Any suggestions?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry you had to wait because the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am an experienced electronics field technician connected to you via this pay for assistance chat based support service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time.

First you want to press the "RECEIVER" button near the top of the Pioneer remote and test if the volume buttons work.

Next I would try unplugging the Pioneer unit for at least 5 minutes.

Next I would try performing a Factory Reset as described in the user manual. See page 38:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-521-k_OperatingInstructions020711.pdf

Next use a digital camera to test if the remote is SENDING any signals when pressing those buttons- point the tip of the remote into the lens of a digital camera, watch the camera screen as you press buttons on the remote. You should see a flashing light coming from the tip of the remote. If you see that then the remote is sending a signal.

If all of that fails, the last resort is replacing the remtoe. They are hard to find but can be purchased on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111711633040

___________________________________________________________________

PLEASE, before you go be sure to click the POSITIVE RATING now. Doing so does NOT close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly does depend on your positive rating.

Clicking the "bad/poor" rating does NOT issue you a refund.

Thank you,