Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I was reading up some of your answers re the bose 321

Customer Question

Hi, i was reading up some of your answers re the bose 321 system. do you charge for your consulting?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'm happy to help, if you can please tell me a bit more about the problem.

Yes, this is a paid support service, there is no free support for these products from bose once the 1 year warranty is up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi. i already made my deposit. are you able to help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Bose 321 System and it has been working fine until yesterday (with no other changes) i came home, turned it on to find no audio output. No audio if i played a cd, no output to the TV or the wireless (via airport express) and the Aux. The power comes on ok, and i can see the volume number move up on the unit - but no audio comes out. I disconnected the unit and the sub woofer and reconnected - still no sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan, are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok did i just throw away $31
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm here.

Please reply only once. When you send multiple responses they all get pushed down the queue and it takes even longer for me to see them.

Reply just once and give me time to respond, please.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Which specific model do you have (series 1 or 2), and are you getting any display to the tv (setup menu, dvd, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Which model?
Yes you do get display (through the bose), such as bose dvd playback, bose settings menu, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was in the middle of another call. Ok so where do I find the answer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That's okay, take your time. I have not yet provided an answer though, I was awaiting additional details from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i get all the displays. everything looks normal - i can even see the volume go up 35/35 when i turn it on but there is no volume. in cd / dvd mode, it plays but no volume
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you for confirming.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board (preamp section) in the receiver unit, or a faulty power supply/amp output stage in the sub, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2005 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the receiver unit, and disconnect the acoustimass module as well

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; though in general these units are not built to be repaired. Parts are not available, and labor gets to be expensive. There are only a few places in the country that will work on these, and repairs will typically be in the $400+ range. With that in mind, you're probably better off replacing the system at this point, as you can get a new and updated system with a fresh warranty for less than you'd spend on repairs.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Let me know how it works out and I'll be happy to advise further from there, if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have a bose showroom in town, but i guess they dont do repairs right?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

No they do not. They are sales only.

The only repair option is sending in to bose factory service, or another company in colorado. Bose generally wont' even touch these anymore because they are so old they don't keep parts around. They'll just try to sell you a new one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. So this is not uncommon right for something this old? Just so I can tell my wife. Shes not going to be happy to hear it cant be fixed : |
So odd that it was working fine till yesterday.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Very common. 5-8 years is a typical lifespan for these systems and this one is 10+ at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was damaged by a power surge, which is very common this time of year with some storms.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, evcen if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1e81djv

(this is the only way the site credits me for my time)

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,