Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I have a Denon AVR 4310 receiver I want to connect it to

Customer Question

I have a Denon AVR 4310 receiver I want to connect it to a Sony HD 4K television model number XBR75X940C according to the Denon instructions I am running and a HDMI cable from the output of the cable box to the HDMI STA/CBL input on the receiver. Another HDMI cable running from the monitor 1 output on the receiver to HDMI(3) on the television. A third cable HDMI(4)(ARC) is supposed to return to the receiver(but I do not know where to connects it on the receiver? And What channel I should set the receiver on to receive the HD sound? Thank you for any help. Bruce xxxx at***@******.***

Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , you got this correct for the part where you would connect the cable box in the SAT/CBL hdmi input and monitor out to the tv .

Now about the ARC , this is where you need help ;

For one thing , if you are going to connect your equipment directly into the denon first then you won`t need ARC to reproduce the audio , the sound is already going through the denon first but if you ever want to use ARC then you don`t need a separate HDMI cable , ARC stands for "audio return channel" and this is done through the same hdmi cable that carries the picture to your tv , just make sure that cable is connected where it says ARC on the tv .

Right now you can discard the 3rd hdmi cable then set your tv to the hdmi input where the denon is connected and set your denon input to sat/cbl and once you see the picture on the tv screen you are done, just turn up the volume and you will have sound

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , I do have a correction to make here , you receiver is not ARC compatible , I just assume it was but it is a bit older (2009) than the coming of ARC (2011) and while it would still be possible to extract the audio out of the tv then it would defeat the purpose here as your receiver would need to be set on a different input than that of the cable box and the cable box connected directly in the tv .

Again , while this would work , if you want the best connection for true surround then you are still looking at having the cable box into the denon first and forget arc