Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

After a power outage, our DRA-397 has an error message

Customer Question

After a power outage, our DRA-397 has an error message "remote lock on". There is no audio.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Are you able to get the buttons on the Denon itself to respond- in other words is the issue only with the remote?

Additionally, have you tried disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in?

Have you also tried a reboot of the processor?

Please let me know and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This issue is either caused by a software glitch (which can be reset), or the Firmware has failed as a result of the power outage. To reset the processor on this unit, please follow the steps below:

1) Turn the unit off using the power button on the receiver itself.

2) Hold down both "Speaker A" and "Speaker B" on the front of the receiver, while pressing power once.

3) Once the display starts flashing, release the speaker A and B buttons.

If the first time does not work, try these steps up to 3 more times, unplugging the receiver from power in between each try and let me know what happens.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the same problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, we are now trying the 3 times with unplugging in between.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now instead of "panel lock" it says "remote lock".
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you originally said it stated "remote lock"- not panel lock.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

So the panel buttons will function but the remote will not- or nothing functions please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've had both signals. They alternate. The A/B routine gets rid of one message, the other message appears. The "B and mode" button routine does the opposite. In other words, we are just toggling between two error signals and never have audio.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I understand. This is not good news I'm afraid as it means the processor has failed within the receiver- since the reset step above is designed to clear ANY and all settings from the receiver, and essentially put it back into shipping mode- which would be as it were when you opened the box. There are no other settings or adjustments that can fix this problem, and unfortunately the power outage caused the microprocessor in the receiver to fail. I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've been using the panel buttons for these tries. We have not been using the remote except to turn the Comcast input on to get TV input, but there is only a picture and no sound through the receiver.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes the panel buttons are what are supposed to be used per Denon for that reset. The display was blinking when you pressed those buttons while powering up correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The display blinked just once or twice. When we hit the "cable" button again, the error message flashes again.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I found one last ditch effort that may help with this. Please follow these steps below which are from Denon's Tech line:

Denon:

Power the unit off using the On/Off button. (not the larger On/Standby button) While the unit is powered off, press and hold the "Speaker B" and "Mode" buttons. Without releasing those buttons, power the unit back on. This will unlock the panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That brings up the message "remote lock on".
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that isn't how it's designed to work- this means with certainty that the Denon's processor has failed and the receiver does indeed require service. More specifically the Mainboard would need to be replaced- which is on average a $200 repair on this unit, and not cost effective since a brand new entry-level Denon can be purchased for around $250.

I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since there was no solution to the problem, I will only be charged the $5 deposit, not the full $36. Am I correct?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you decide that you do want the Denon serviced, then you can use the list of Authorized Locations at the link below:

http://usa.denon.com/us/support/servicecentersearch

Alternatively a brand new unit for just over the cost of repairs to this one is available at the following link (it's actually $279.99):

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS510B/Denon-AVR-S510BT.html?tp=179

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only $5 for this chat. Correct??
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I have no dealings, nor am I privy to billing as I am an independent tech- not a site employee. You would need to address any billing inquiries directly through customer service via the home page.

Additionally the site does not guarantee a "fix"- there is no way to know what the root cause is without spending my time working with you on this.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

My job here is to provide support and provide information you did not have (otherwise you would not have posted the question). We have tried everything that can be done "on a user level"- and I cannot fix a hardware issue from here. Keep in mind a shop would charge you $75 which is non-refundable to bring the receiver in and try what we just tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good-bye.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Goodbye. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stop emailing me. I don't want to give you a good rating, which implies you fixed the problem. You didn't. I don't want to give you a bad rating either, unless you could have fixed the problem and didn't fix it. I don't know that either. I'm sorry I wasted my time and yours.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm NOT e-mailing you the site is- I have no control over that. If you wish to close the question and get a refund then go to CUSTOMER SERVICE from the HOME PAGE. I am no longer involved in the question. With regards ***** ***** being able to fix it and not- that is absolutely not the case. I would not have spent the time trying to help you if that were the case. Again, I am no longer involved so any replies you send here will not be seen by anyone but the other experts who have nothing to do with the e-mails you receive or billing. Thank you.