ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

Kenwood KR-x1000 The unit turns off 2sec's after pressing

Customer Question

Kenwood KR-x1000
The unit turns off 2sec's after pressing the 'On' button, LED above flashes. where do I start looking? At the output transistors or the protection ccts? I've got the service Manual and know my way around PCB's etc but not sure where to start on this unit. I don't want too pull to much apart at the beginning! Greg
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg,

Most likely it is a problem with the power supply circuitry.

Start by checking the electrolytic capacitors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Capacitors are too hard to measure without taking too much of the unit apart and I don't really want to pull too many of the connections from the PCB's.
I did disconnect all the cables that that were easily accessable. (See photo) .
When I 'switched ' the unit on it turned 'off'. (the LED above the 'switch' was flashing) pushed the 'switch' again, (the LED stayed 'on') when I pushed the switch again the unit switched on and stayed 'on') so I measured the DC supply voltages at CN4,X07,B/5, using a FLUKE 77. They were all OK, bit high, but there was no load.
the voltage supplies to this plug are OK (a bit high but had no load connected)
I reconnected the cables 'in turn' and tested to see if the unit would switch off, it was OK accept when I connected the black cable (connects X11,WH14, Pg39) to (X14,CN1 Pg30) as shown in the attachment.
Can you still help me? If so, where too now? Is it still part of the original price.
(your first advice was pretty basic, I wouldn't be prepared to pay anything for that!)
(All page references are on the schematics etc from the service manual - free to download from: hifiengine.com as noted on the attachment)
PS: Does it matter wether the speakers are connected or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,Was messing around with the wiring and managed to short something out.... melted a couple of wires, bit of smoke & SMELL so guess there's more damaged components now than I care to find/sort out.... I'M GOING TO SCRAP THE WHOLE UNIT. Thanks for attempting to help. I guess that I won't have to pay anything. I am going to cancel my account. Thanks anyway.