Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a Panasonic Portable Stereo Component System (Model #

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Portable Stereo Component System (Model # *****) and the tape deck will not rewind. Can you repair? Would like a yes or no before paying.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have a bad capstan motor.

While it is technically possible to repair, it typically is not cost effective to do so.

This is a very old (late 80s) model so all parts and support are long discontinued.

While generic or used parts may be substituted, the labor alone will not be feasible. You can expect to pay at least $100 just for diagnostics to have a repair shop look at it, with parts and labor added on top of that. You can buy a new system for less which would make more sense.

As an alternative though, if the other deck will rewind I'd suggest using it instead, or flipping the tape over and fast forwarding (if that functions) then flipping back to start it from the beginning again.

If you still wish to proceed with repairs though, let me now your zip code and I'll help find a local repair shop, or I can try to recommend replacement options, though at this point cassete technology has been obsolete and not made for over 10 years, aso any replacements would be primarily used equipment.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,