Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have worked with home theater systems for over 20 years.
11519491

Is my unit worth fooling with anymore or should I call it

Customer Question

Is my unit worth fooling with anymore or should I call it quits?
Have just purchased a Yamaha RX 797 Stereo Receiver on Ebay. Unit arrived yesterday via FedEx. Regrettably some damage noticed, likely when in transit. Apparently dropped. Front left foot broken (easily repairable) though drop was sufficient to leave an impression of the foot pushed 1/4" into metal base panel. On further inspection, Front left of unit is relatively open & free of circuitry. Unit Master Power & On/Off button are just in front of damaged base on control selection face just here. No noticeable damage or loose/floating pieces inside once top cover removed. Re covered & hooked it up to give it a try.
Receiver attached & intended to drive two Polk Audio (11ts) speakers. Each has nominal impedance of 6 ohms. Set speaker impedence switch on rear to far right position (for 6 ohms).
OK on power up, display will show briefly (1 sec approx) & shuts off. At 1 sec, time was sufficient to move input selector from one to another input & have it display briefly bfore shut off.. I went thru the power on cycle several times, displaying tuner, CD, & finally phono. Same result. No sound from speakers & quick power off. Operator manual troubleshooting suggested a wrong speaker impedence selection (switch on rear) could cause no sound from speakers (among other more serious faults of course).
In your opinion, is there anything else to try... before I call the unit "toast" & return to the sender (while also suggesting he provide better packaging in future)???
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi wow, I'm sorry that happened to you.

I would check to see if you can return the item as it likely wasn't packaged sufficiently. But also is there any insurance give that the package was shipped by a a major carrier? They usually carry some ins on all packages. I would try that avenue first.

If all of that fails you can talk with the customer and maybe work something out and you may be able to have that fixed. Or fix this your self with my assistance?

If you are handy and have some tools and a meter I will help you go further if that will help.

Otherwise check with the seller about the ins or the shipping company, even the US PO puts some ins on all packages.

If you have any further questions for me please feel free to ask me thats what I am here for ;-)

We will find some way of resolving this without you having such a loss.

Please rate my service kindly at this time, so I can stick with you until this is all worked out with the best possible outcome. In addition I will send you phone service request form. If you accept that I will call you to discuss your options on this unit. If you don't want to talk on the phone please decline the offer but if you do accept that please send me your phone number so I can call and lest to best time for that as well.

Once again I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Have a great Sunday!

Tech Michael