Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Pioneer VSX-522 receiver. I have Direct TV as my

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer VSX-522 receiver. I have Direct TV as my television provider. I have high quality HDMI cables connecting my system. The problem is that when watching a HD program and I switch to a non-HD program there is a "popping" sound and then no audio for the non-HD program. If I turn the receiver and tv off and then on, many times the audio will be on then. I can't believe this is suppose to happen. The other tvs do not have a receiver as part of their system and there is no audio loss
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. The issue is one I've seen before and it's with the DirecTv box that is connected to this particular setup- since the channel HD and non-HD programming are decoded within the SAT box, this is where the problem lies. You would first want to reboot the DTV box by disconnecting and reconnecting it to power, next replace the HDMI cable and if the issue persists beyond that then contact DTV and have them swap out this box.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at home to try the proposed solution so I don't know if it works
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, well you would run through all those steps as I outlined. Including the very last resort of having DirecTv swap out their box.