Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a control 4 system that is analog, I bought new DVD's

Customer Question

I have a control 4 system that is analog, I bought new DVD's and they all take Digital connections, my representative says that the only area which is really needed to have a digital connections are my rooms that have surround sound. I had to send my dvd back and had to order a dvd with the analog connections, since this particular connection runs the DVD throughout each room. What does it take to convert the analog to digital and is the cost outrageous, my system is approx 5-6 years old? According to my rep my home is wired with analog only, and stating the cost to convert would be costly and is unnecessary.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What model control4 system do you have, and are you referring to a multi room distribution system (presumably over component video),

or to a remote control system?

What dvd do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Control 4 Home Controller HC 500, also have (2) HC 200. I believe over component video, since I have a Sony Component Video Switcher, Also Xtream Mdeia Server PRO 8800 and Xtream Media Extender .
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Converting your system to digital is possible, but it would be involved. You can use the existing component cabling with a hdmi conversion system that utilizes the 1 or all 5 of the existing component cords to each location. You're looking at replacing the main control unit with a new matrix switch as well as a receiver in each room - on average that'll be about $600 for each room that gets a feed from the main system, and about $2000 for the matrix switch. There would also be added configuration and setup of everything, and possibly a new remote/control system to operate it all. Overall, expect to be in the $5000 range to update the complete system.

But, you'll find this isn't just an issue with dvds, and eventually you'll have no choice but to update. It is getting difficult to find any analog only devices anymore. No bluray player will output analog, and most new cable/satellite boxes won't either. For those that do, you're limited to standard def (not hd) and no content that is encrypted (no hbo, no espn, etc). Same will go for any "smart" functions like an appletv, netflix, etc.

If you'd like help finding a local dealer/installer that can upgrade your system, or would like more input on specific options, I'd be happy to advise further.

If you want to forget about the control 4 system and don't truly need distributed audio/video, you might want to consider just a standalone system in each room. It won't be quite as convenient or advanced, but the cost would be a fraction of a whole house system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it would be possible can you give me a couple of names that you would recommend for a dealer for my area, Reedley, Calfiornia. 24 miles East of Fresno California
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Here are 2 nearby outfits I'd recommend:

Hi-Tech Home(###) ###-####/p>

Red Wave Comm(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1e81djv

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,