Freddy M.
Freddy M., Customer Service
Experience:  Years of experience in IT and customer support
15852642

Rotel rcd-930ax tray will not stay closed so cannot play any

Customer Question

Rotel rcd-930ax tray will not stay closed so cannot play any cd
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. What happens when you try to close it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the drawer stays shut for a little while then just pops back open
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Do you get any sort of error like flashing lights when this happens? When it is closed do you hear the disc spin? Does the same thing happen with no disc in the tray?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the display says "Open" when drawer is opening and when closed shows "00" and the same thing happens when there is no disc in the drawer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the display says "Open" when drawer is opening and when closed shows "00" and the same thing happens when there is no disc in the drawer, the disc does not spin
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
The 00 is not a good sign that can indicate a blown capacitor, a problem with the laser pickup unit, or a failing spindle. How old is it? Did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Manufactured in 1996 and no extended warrranty
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Are you somewhat handy? If you are I can help you test the capacitors with a multimeter. The other two parts unfortunately the only way to really tell is to replace them with another.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm handy but don't have a multimeter but thats not to say I couldn't get one
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you can get one you would need to open the unit up and then using it test the capacitors on the board. They should have the voltages written on them. But if they do not most should read between .4 and .6 on the meter. Before testing look for any that are scorched, bulging or leaking as that would automatically mean it needs to be replaced.
If the voltage does not read correctly they need to be replaced as well. While you have it open use a can of air duster and blow out the entire unit. Dust build up around the spindle could be causing it to act this way as well. Then test it and see if anything changes.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.