Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have an older mixed manufacturer stereo system that served

Customer Question

I have an older mixed manufacturer stereo system that served me well for over 20 years. I recently moved residences and after I attached my Pioneer CS-99 speakers to my Pioneer SA-950 amp the sound clipped at low volume. I switched to my Yamaha AV-66 YST and sound completely disappeared at a slightly higher volume, but not what I would call anything close to the max output of the amp.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really unfortunately
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Please re-check the speaker wires, how these wires are connected to the speaker as it would appear that the speaker would be the common cause for both the Pioneer and the Yamaha.
In lieu of a multi-meter, please try using a single 1.5Volt AA battery and 2 lengths of wire. The idea is to momentarily power the speaker terminals with the battery. There should be a healthy click heard and the speaker cone would/should move noticeably.
The above would be a 'rough' test for speaker functionality.
Bear with me as currently mobile, Internet sluggish/intermittent and next reply may be delayed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can buy a meter. I don't think they are that expensive. The speakers work at low volume. It's only when I try to increase the volume they cut out. :-(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to speak on the phone.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
please; post back an update when the multi-meter is available.