Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a onyko tx-nr516 receiver that has lost hdmi

Customer Question

I have a onyko tx-nr516 receiver that has lost hdmi connection. I am unable to access the menu as it does not appear on tv. I have tried switching out hdmi cables to cable box and tv. Without ability to access menu I am unable to see hdmi settings. The
tv works with a direct cable connection but no sound through the system.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O K what is your opinion
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, this is almost always the result of an internal hardware defect.

Sadly, this is extremely common in these onkyo receivers, which have some known hardware and design faults that resulted in extremely high failure rates of the hdmi board. What this means is that the circuit board inside the receiver that processes the hdmi signals has failed, and would have to be replaced.

The one thing you can try here is a microprocessor reset:
Power the unit off (standby mode)

then press and hold down the CBL/SAT button while powering back on

If still no change, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware fault, which would require repairs to correct.

To give you an idea, that repair will be in the $400-450 range. I would not consider that practical, when you can buy a brand new and updated receiver with a fresh warranty for the same price or less.

As an alternative, you can bypass the receiver entirely for video, and route all your devices to the tv directly via hdmi. Then run a separate optical cable from the tv back to the onkyo for sound.

Otherwise, depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding a repair shop or recommending replacements for you.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bad news. I will try the direct route until we find out how yo proceed. I am running this system with a control 4 IPad connection.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That will entail a lot of additional programming to bypass the receiver, as your control4 system would have to be reprogrammed with all the new inputs, though you'd have to do the same if replacing the onkyo with a new receiver as well.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If looking for a replacement, here is a model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/1DJiAn4

It is a highly capable model, much more reliable than the onkyo, and you can get a great deal on them online right now. It is last years model (though not really missing anything from the current one), so you can get it for about half price while they last.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1e81djv

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I saw your question pop back up in my queue, did you need further help?