Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Purchased Denon AVR-S710W today and hooked up correctly.

Customer Question

Purchased Denon AVR-S710W today and hooked up correctly. Cable HDMI is hooked into CBL/SAT port on receiver and Blue ray DVD is hooked up correctly. HDMI to TV is attached from HDMI port from receiver to TV. I cannot get any video but only get audio. Double and triple checked all connections which appear fine. What is the problem?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please reply to me so i know you are there and we can proceed ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You opened another post and it won`t be replied to as it is a duplicate.

Good luck , I`m reposting this one and opting out

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, has the HDMI cable been re-checked? ...replaced?
And has a RESET been tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** I'm ready to take care of this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked your message. Yes, I had to replace the HDMI cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a reset? I've tried turning the receiver on and off a number of time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HDMI cable is a 30 foot long cable that is used to go through the wall to the TV over the fireplace. We checked each input on the LG TV. We have not checked another cable. We cannot get the set up menu up on the screen.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The cable length may be an issue. Have you tried (temporarily) connecting the Denon to the TV with a shorter/known to be good HDMI cable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've actually tried that with my Yamaha receiver a few days ago and we got a picture that was extremely choppy with the shorter HDMI cable (10 foot). We did not know what the issue was and since we has the Yamaha for 5 years, we figured that we should get a modern receiver.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Can you re-try the same with the new Denon? It would serve as a test by process of elimination; cable, cable length, Denon, TV.
In the same token, can you please try the cable box and/or Blu-ray directly to the TV using the 30' HDMI? ...and then also with the 10'?
...or even with an HDMI cable shorter than the 10' (if available) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried the same test again with no luck at all. I'm going to grab a new shorter HDMI cable at the store and will email you when I return. It should be no longer than a half an hour.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand and yes please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked. Have picture and sound. All it took was a new 10 foot cord from Walmart. That's the last time I purchase a cheap HDMI cable for "online deals". Now I need to find a quality HDMI cable of sufficient length.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Great! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.
Glad that the above test/check information served your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept if so warranted (if haven't done so).
Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.