Steve G., Master Technician
Experience:  Audio Video System design and repair.
329447

Are KLH model 26 speakers compatible with model 20

Customer Question

Are KLH model 26 speakers compatible with model 20 turntable/tuner? What other models can be used with 26 speakers, which I have?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

The 26s were a great speaker in their day. They can be a little power hungry like a lot of the old KLH units but having said that, they should work fine with any amplifier or receiver (tuner/amp) with over 30 watts per channel.

Did you have a specific system in mind?

Let me know.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be with a model 20 KLH turntable/receiver. I have the speakers from way back in dry storage.I see model 20 speakers and turntable/receiver on Ebay that look very clean. Is that system more powerful than the 20? Speakers look bigger. Your view on both speakers and turntable for model 20?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean is 20 amp more powerful than 26? Are 20 speakers bigger than 26?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

If I recall, the amp in the 26 system was less powerful than the 20 and didn't have a tuner. The 26 speakers will work finw with the 20.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model 20 does have a tuner, the speaker looks bigger. Is there a reference chart somewhere to know the difference between 20 & 26? Also is that cable with I believe RCA jacks still available on both ends?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just learned 20 speakers are 12" X 24" vs 20 speakers just 10" X 15". 20 amp is 4 ohms.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

The speakers are compatible. You can use any RCA cable. They are widely available in any length. Amazon may be your best source.

I found this for the 26s:

• 8-1/4" Woofer, cloth surround
  • 3-1/2" Tweeter, cloth surround
  • 4 ohms
  • RCA connectors
  • Walnut veneer particleboard
  • 18" x 10-1/4" x 7-1/2"
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Correction, the RCA cable has spade connections. HERE is one for you.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

You may also need to replace the capacitors in the crossovers. Over the years, they may have dried out and this will affect the sound.