Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I have just cought a Panasonic Home Theatre System SC-BTT300

Customer Question

Hi, I have just cought a Panasonic Home Theatre System SC-BTT300 and a Pansonic TH-60A430Z Viera tv. Conected the optical cable from MYSKY to the Home Theatre as I was told by a sparkie whi wired the house up. All the speakers work as they should when tested through the Home theatre system, but cant get them to come through when I have MYSKY or the tv on. HDMI cable from Theatre system and one from MYSKY to the tv. Its obviously a problem somewhere in the systems set up Yes? I think.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but I see that you asked this question some 4 fours ago , let me know if you still need help with it ?

Also note that due to time difference , there might be delays

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Yes...still need help. As I say all the speakers work. But I have to switch it off to view mysky ....I watch the normal tv channels tgrough mysky also...so thought it was a simple matter of connecting an optic cable between the mysky box and home theatre..which I did.cheers. john.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then aside from the sound system which it working well on its own right now , do you get normal sound through the tv`s connection to the sky box ?

In other words , the sky and tv work fine , you just want to also have the sound going through the sound system , is that correct ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Right now , the way i see it is that you have the sky box and the HTS ( home theater system) connected to the tv separatly with hdmi cables and then you ran an optical cable from the sky box to the HTS.

This could work but would not be how i would set this up.

With the equipment you have now , the correct way would be to connect the "MYSKY" box hdmi out directly into the HTS hdmi 1 input and then select that input .

In the mean time your tv will be set and left to the input where the HTS out is connect , for example HDMI 1 .

Now when you want to watch a dvd , the system will automatically switch to the player and when stopped , the skybox sound and picture will go through it on the way to the tv .

You can pull out the optical cable by the way , not useful here .

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or still need help setting this up , thank you .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mysky and tv speakers work. Have to swich theatre off though.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my reply above for the correct wiring ?

To resume that , disconnect the optical and connect the MYSKY hdmi into the sound system and you are set for sound and picture

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Here is a small diagram of what i mean , click the link below , these are your tv`s and sound system`s back connections;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t74kcphinpftziu/2015-08-05_1427.png?dl=0

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You have a live hyperlink now if you click on it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this means there is no cable going into hdmi one ...or two on the tv set. If it does...where does it go? Have put hdmi from mysky to htheatre. Cheers.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

yes you do need a cable that connects the HTS now , can you see the diagram i uploaded ?

You will have this MYSKY >>> HDMI>>> SOUND SYSTEM HDMI OUT >>> TV HDMI 1

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

So you do need to use only one hdmi input on the tv either 1 or 2 but the sound system needs to be connected to the tv

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. On tv screen it says cable. When I click on AV input..on remote ...it wants to select either Hdmi(cable) or hdmi 12 or av or tv
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes and whats the problem with that ?

Where did you connect the HTS , HDMI 1 or 2 ?

Just select the input where its connected

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Its a simple as that here ;

MYSKY HDMI OUT to HTS HDMI 1 input >>> HTS HDMI OUT to TV HDMI 1

Set the HTS to HDMI 1 so that the MYSKY sound and picture get connected and set the tv to HDMI 1 so that it receives the sound and picture from the HTS .

You have a grand total of 2 cables to connect here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have hdmi cable from mysky to home theatre. There seems to be nowhere now...for the hdmi cable from the tv to go...as outlet for hdmi on both the mysky and home theatre are being used between them both.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but I`m going to opt out now , I do have to step out and will repost your question .

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.

Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .

Hopefully someone will be able to help you here but I do suggest you get someone savvy with this equipment to connect you , either the store where you bought it or some kids who fiddles around with sound systems , you have only 2 cables to connect here to make this work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 1 hdmi outlet on mysky.
I have 1 hdmi outlet on home theatre.
I have 2 hdmi outlets on tv.
hdmi is now between mysky and home theatre.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
that's correct and now set your tv to hdmi 1 and your soundsystem to hdmi 1 as well
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Can you play a dvd and see it on the tv screen ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have dvd sound on tv. No picture.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You have the dvd sound on the tv but no picture and all you have connected is a HDMI cable between the tv and sound system ???

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The dvd sound is it going through the TV's own speaker or the sound system speakers ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sound system. ;-)
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

o.k , then that makes mre sense .

Where did you connect the sound system on the tv , is it HDMI 1 or 2 ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What doe sit say at the back of the tv where you connected the HDMI cable ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Is it HDMI 1 or 2 ?

Whichever it is , grab the TV's remove and press repeatedly the top button called AV under INPUT until itgets to the input where the sound system is connected and you see a picture

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that. But there is nowhere for hdmi from tv to go.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean nowhere to go , it connects to the back of the sound system !

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Can you see a port called HDMI OUT on the sound system ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

That's where the tv connects

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You had me conect it to mysky
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

wrong , that port goes to the tv and then just beside it you connect the MYSKY , unless I have the wrong model number here , doesn`t your sound system have 2 HDMI IN and 1 HDMI out ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Good god , so sorry , it does not look like I have the correct sound system here if your`s does not have HDMI inputs and only one out

In that case , reconnect everything as it was and also with the optical cable and once that is done and you get back the pictures from the dvd and mysky on the tv screen , let me know and we`ll make the optical connection work .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok just put hdmi into tv and theater. So now I have sound and picture on tv from sound system. How do I now get sky?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I did not have the correct system here , reconnect the sky box back into the tv directly and then that optical cable and we`ll take it from there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Optical cable reconnect?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

yes please

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Now on the sound system remote , is there a button called EXT-IN ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done. So now I have dvd and sound. But want mysky on tv. That should be taken care of by the optic link yes?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

the picture part will be as it was before with the hdmi cable to the tv but the sound part will be with the optical yes

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me a minute ?
Found the correct manual here finally

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

o.k then on the sound system remote there is a button called usb under where it is written RADIO/EXT-IN , try to press that button a few times to see if you will get the sound from MYSKY

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sweet. Now on tv I have menu .. lots of boxes to open. EXT IN. MEDIA RENDERER. FM RADIO. PHOTOS. VIDEOS.MUSIC.SOUND.DLNA CLIENT.OTHERS.....from these...I need to set up the tv yes for mysky?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes that's correct and here is also a picture from the manual that may help ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gols39ihlmivk1x/2015-08-05_1534.png?dl=0

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The "set top box " in that picture would be your mysky

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressing usb has given me sound from mysky.getting there.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

that's it then for the sound system , just set your tv to the other hdmi input where mysky is connected and you are done

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

In other words , all you were missing at first was to press that USB button so the rest stays the same , just change the input on the tv when you want to watch a dvd or the sky box

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I do have to step out now but If that answers your questions and you are set then please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool. Got everthing going except picture. Think it needs a guy onsite to set picture. Thanks for taking me this far :-)
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Just select the correct input on the tv ,the sound part is done .

You did have the picture before yes ?

Your sky box is connected hdmi to the tv ?

If so then just select the hdmi input on the tv where its connected and you will have picture from the tv and sound from the system

If you were watching tv before this then nothing has changed , the only thing is that you did not know how to select the sound from the sky box and that is done .

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.