Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

I have a Denon AM/FM Receiver DRA-697Ci. The volume on this

Customer Question

I have a Denon AM/FM Receiver DRA-697Ci. The volume on this receiver displays a range of -80dB to +13dB when rotated fully in each direction. Needless to say, the sound coming out of the speakers is negligible even when turned "up" fully. Is there a way to adjust the volume louder?
Thanks,
Steve
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for entrusting me with your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, click on Reply to Expert tab to reply to me in the reply box that pops open or, if the reply box is showing, just type your reply to me there. And please don't forget to rate me positive when we are finished. Let's get you fixed up so you can be on your way.
I'm a sound engineer, as well as a home theater installer. Is it quiet on all sources? What model speakers are you using with the Denon?
Additionally, are the speakers balanced, or is one louder than the other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sound is balanced between speakers evenly.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, and is it quiet on all sources? Which model speakers are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sound can barely be heard from the CD player and nothing from the turntable. The speakers are large Canton speakers.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that looks like the problem. How many watts are your speakers? Your Denon is 100 watts per side. You have to use 100 watt speakers with that receiver, or you could damage your speakers. Too little wattage is just as damaging as too much wattage.
With 100 watt speakers, it will run at optimal performance. Take a look at the wattage rating on the speakers. We can use the audio out terminals to connect an external amplifier to power your big speakers if we need to.
As soon as I know the wattage of your speakers, I can confirm, and locate an amplifier for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wattage of the speakers is adequately high. This system worked perfectly before being boxed up and moved.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, turn the unit off. Hold speaker A, speaker B and power simultaneously until you see PLEASE WAIT. Release the buttons.
That will reset the microprocessor. Now let's take a look at your setup. Be sure you're plugged into speaker A terminals. If you need to make changes, please unplug it before switching speaker wires. Be sure speaker B is turned off, so that only A is selected. Did this make any change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried this twice and the only change seems to be that the displayed volme range has increase to -80dB to +18dB, but I cannot hear any increase in volume.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Will you please check your wattage on your speakers? I need to know that information. Adequate isn't always a good thing in audio math. There may be a different configuration, and I really need to know your speakers in order to determine that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will find out and get back you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Canton Karat M 60,DC model. 150/250 watts
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I think I found the right speakers. Do they have 2 sets of speaker terminals on the back of them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a connecting wire between a pair of upper and lower connections. They are connected to the Demon on the lower connectors as the speaker instructions stated.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, those are for a bi-amp configuration, meaning that you can connect speaker A and speaker B to each speaker, then be sure speaker A and B are turned on.
Connect speaker A left to the top set of connectors on your left speaker, then connect speaker B left to the bottom set of connectors. Do the same for the right speaker with the right speaker A and B terminals.
If you see a switch that says bi-amp, be sure to set it to the bi-amp setting. This will send 100 watts to your bass, and 100 watts to your high range speakers, doubling your wattage. This should fix the problem.
Plug the receiver back in, and tell me how it sounds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will get back to you later today. Thanks.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Bi-amp speakers work with two amplifiers, and are clearer than full range speakers. I'm confident that this is the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I keep the wire connecting the upper and lower speaker connectors?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Each speaker will have 2 speaker wires. Connect the top terminals to speaker A, and the bottom terminals to speaker B.
IMPORTANT: Look for the switch on your speaker that says BI-AMP, and make sure it is on that setting.
Turn on the receiver, make sure both speaker A and B are active, and it should be back to normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I connected the speakers as instructed with no positive response. They are as quiet as before. The max display for the volume also remains at +18 dB.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, I've been working in the field. Are both speaker A and speaker B activated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But there is no switch on the speakers for bi-amp.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, disconnect the A terminals from the back of the receiver. What does that do to the sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The disconnection of the A terminals did nothing to increase or decrease the sound-- the speakers ran on the B terminals. But, the disconnection of the B terminals caused the speakers to stop working altogether, even though they were connected to the A terminals.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, we've located the problem. Does it appear that the A speakers are on? Can you switch them off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can switch the A speakers off.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, now only connect the A speakers. Are you able to get sound from the speakers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Barely -- same as before.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so that shows that they work. Now connect the B terminals in addition to A. Be sure to observe polarity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No difference. And yes, I made sure that both speaker channels were 'on' the receiver.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, and when you shut off A, does it still sound the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When A is shut off, there is no sound.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, and that is with speaker B connected and turned on? Turn off A, and turn on B. What happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Terminal A is the only channel feeding a.signal to the speakers.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, before only B was feeding the speakers. Now the problem has switched. We know B works, because it was just working. How do your speaker connections look for speaker B? Are they clean, no wires touching across terminals, and only bare wire touching the terminals on both ends?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I was incorrect in my prior comment before. Terminal A is working and terminal B is not -- at least not the way they connected to the speakers.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, now let's check the terminals on your speakers. Disconnect B completely. Move the speaker wire to the other speaker terminals. Do both sets of speaker terminals work?

If so, disconnect A, and let's work on B. Connect B only, and see if you can get any sound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had tried that before contacting you. Both speaker channels work equally weakly.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

So you're saying that A and B both work equally? I'm confused as to why the speaker B doesn't stay on when speaker A is deactivated. Are there any switches on your speakers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 separate connections on the back of the speakers. When we started this process I told you there was a wire connecting them, but when you told me to connect both terminals A and B, I removed those wires. The upper connection goes the upper-range speakers and the lower connection goes to the bass. Terminal A is connected to the upper speaker connections. As an aside, can you explain to me why the volume range on this receiver shows a range to -80dB? What is the purpose of a dB below '0'?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

0 is the relevant top out number we use when measuring digital audio. 0 is unity, anything above that is over driving the inputs. That's why it goes to -80, at -80 db in digital audio it's inaudible.

Since they were quiet, adding the speaker B to the bottom terminals will double the wattage. Reconnect the wires and use only speaker A. Is it still quiet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was the connection when we began this journey.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

I need you to confirm that speaker B is indeed working, and where the fault is. If you can get the speakers working on speaker B, on the bottom terminals, then we can connect A to the top, and it will be connected correctly. I need you to work on getting speaker B working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will get back to you.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

I'll be here. A bi-amp system runs with 2 inputs. Basically speaker A powers the top half, and speaker B powers the bottom half. The jumpers that were there before just split the signal so that both halves had signal.