Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Trying to connect directv and appletv to a receiver - help!

Customer Question

Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the model number of the receiver, and of your display/tv?
What specific connections have you used between each, and where exactly are you getting stuck? The more detail you can give me the better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yamaha RXV667
VIZIO
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Directv is in HDMI3
Appletv HDMI2
Receiver has HDMI output to TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I need full and complete information, please, to be able to tell you.

What is the model number of the tv.

What specific cords/cables have you used so far: detail exactly which ports are used on each device (hdmi1, hdmi2, etc)

What specific problem are you having, ie where are you getting stuck? Don't know where to connected anything? Hooked up but have no sound, or no pic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No regular channels
No Appletv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just VIZIO apps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just usef hdmi cables
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

it sounds like you just don't have the vizio set to the proper input

If you are routing everything through the yamaha, then you have to set the tv to pick up signal from the yamaha.

If yamaha hdmi/monitor out is connected to hdmi1 on the vizio for example, then you have to set the source/input mode on the vizio to hdmi1.

Set the yamaha to hdmi2 or hdmi3 to get sound from the dtv or appletv, and video will be sent to the tv.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try that ... It will take a few minutes
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. If that doesn't do it, then there are some detailed settings/adjustments that will have to be changed on the yamaha to configure the inputs properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it matter if the HDMI on the back of the receiver says BD/DVD HDMI 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need an ethernet cable to connect the DirecTV with the Apple TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that means whatever label is on each port is what you have to choose for the input mode. So if you are using hdmi1 port on the yamaha for appletv for example, you'd have to pick the BD/DVD input mode on the yamaha to get the signal from the appletv.

No ethernet between individual devices, you'd use ethernet (rather than wifi) from the dtv box and appletv to your router.

When replying, please send only one response and give me a chance to reply - every time you send another response I lose everything I'm working on and have to start all over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok im sorry
Back of yamaha
BD/DVD HDMI1 cable to Appletv
HDMI2 cable to VIZIO
HDMI3 cable to DiectvIs that what it should be
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

okay that is the problem,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

HDMI2 from yamaha cannot go to vizio, those are all inputs,

look at the far side of the bank of hdmi ports on the yamaha, the one that says OUT (monitor) is what goes to the vizio

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what i said earlier on
Directv is in HDMI3
Appletv HDMI2
Receiver has HDMI output to TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

your last reply says hdmi2 to vizio. So hdmi2 port on yamaha connected to the vizio. That won't work.

You need the HDMI OUT port, which is shaded in gray outline, at the far left (when facing rear of the receiver) out to the tv, say to the hdmi1 port on the vizio, then set the vizio to hdmi1 input

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back of yamaha
BD/DVD HDMI1 cable to Appletv
HDMI OUTPUT cable to VIZIO
HDMI3 cable to Directv
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so where are you getting stuck then?
Set the vizio to the input selection that is coming from the yamaha

Set the yamaha to bd/dvd to pick up appletv

Do you not get pic/sound from appletv at that point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says. NO SIGNAL
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Then you either have the vizio set to the wrong input, or the vizio isn't compatible with the system at this point. What is the full model number of the vizio?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
M701-A3
Everything is as good th n I bought apple tv
There used to be a universal remote harmony 900 not connected any long r
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The harmony wouldn't cause this, and the vizio shouldn't have any resolution issues. So the issue is then most likely to be that you are picking the wrong inputs, you don't have the cables where you've indicated, or you have a bad hdmi cable.

Can you please take the cord going from the yamaha to the vizio currently, and instead plug that straight into the back of the satellite box (don't touch the end plugged into the vizio currently), and tell me if you get sat picture on the tv?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing connecting the vizio tv and the yamaha receiver is the HDMI output on the left in tge gray box
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I understand that.

What I am asking you to do is to bypass the yamaha, temporarily, and connect the satellite (or the appletv) directly to the tv (using the cord currently in place from yamaha to vizio). This will help us to isolate if there is a bad cable, or a problem with the tv or the yamaha.