Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Cambridge Soundworks P500 powered subwoofer is not getting

Customer Question

My Cambridge Soundworks P500 powered subwoofer is not getting power. The power light is dark. The fuse looks good. The switch is in the ON position. I have plugged it into a known wall outlet to make sure it is not a disconnect in my setup.
What could be the problem? Can I fix it, or can a service person?
-- Rick
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, You can't tell if the fuse is good by simply looking at it. Do you have a Meter so we can test the fuse with certainty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aric,
I just now tested the fuse and it is good. -- Rick
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. This means the power supply circuit in the powered sub has a failure, and to track it down further would require testing the secondary voltage from the transformer. The issue could be caused by shorted diodes in the bridge, shorted capacitors or a failed transfromer. If you dont have the ability to measure voltages beyond this point, then a better option would be to feplace the plate amplifier by matchingup one at: www.partsexpress.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aric,
Your reply tells me that I need top find a local audio service guy to do this for me. Thanks for trying. -- Rick
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay. The less expensive solution is to purchase a replacement amp and swap it yourself- if you can use a jigsaw and a screwdriver, you can do this yourself. Let me know.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replied earlier that your answer convinced me that I need to find a local technician. It was not specific enough for me to do the repair confidently myself. I do not even know how to take the cover off the unit and don't have any idea where to get the parts or what they would cost, even if I knew them when I saw them. Please do not pursue this matter further. Thanks for trying. -- Rick
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Rick, I am bound by the site to keep replying. If you do not want me to reply back, then please do not respond to my post. Thank you.