Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Installed a new front door speaker in my stepdaughters 2005

Customer Question

Installed a new front door speaker in my stepdaughters 2005 Honda Civic. When I started the car after the install I got a miswireing DC offset error on her DDX 370 receiver that I installed a few months ago and it worked fine until I worked on the door speaker.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hi, DC offset means the speaker wire is shorted to ground somewhere between the deck and the speaker. Most common place for a kink/abrasion is at the door jam, in the kick panel, or behind the deck. That is the only thing that will cause this. DC is coming from the car ground, and the offset means that it's sensing it at the speaker outputs. That's your cause- now you need to find the culprit.
Most effective way of troubleshooting is disconnect all speaker wires from the unit- isolate the wires with tape (so none touch each other), then attempt to power up the deck (never disconnect or connect speaker wires when the unit is turned on).
Then LOCALLY (meaning taking a brand new wire and leave it run in the air to the speaker- bypassing ALL vehicle speaker wiring), connect the door speaker. If the message goes away (meaning the issue did not damage the deck), then you know what you need to do. Run a BRAND NEW wire from the deck, through the factory wiring path (using a snake or fibre rod), and completely disconnect that factory wire since it's compromised.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also, while you're behind the deck- check that NO un-used wires (Dimmer, Rem turn-on, etc. ) are touching chassis ground. Tape off ANY and ALL unused wires- as these are LIVE and need to be isolated from all ground points and each other.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?