Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I cannot get my USB to serial rs-232 plug to communicate with my russound MCA c5 controlle

Customer Question

I cannot get my USB to serial rs-232 plug to communicate with my russound MCA c5 controller RS-232 port. Ports and setting have been gone through over and over. 19200/8/none/1/none. The controller has an old firmware 02.00.05 on it. Can that be the issue. I can talk to it through the network. But I specifically need to upgrade the firmware to support features I want. Anyone have an idea?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Have you by chance any way to test that usb adapter with another serial device?I can tell you from experience that they rarely work. I still haven't found one that has been successful for this purpose, I ended up installing a physical serial card in a pc for home use (it was on a media server near my controllers anyway so no issue there), and in the field I have an old laptop that has an actual serial port that I keep around for this purpose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to resolve this on my own with setting on the comport. Thanks for the reply. Since I resolved this on my own I don't expect to pay for support.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it is working for you. I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I have no control over billing/account issues. I'll close out of the question, and if you feel a deposit is in order you may request such from customer service via the help page. Best regards,Nathan