Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a Kenwood 200 disc player. It does not start many discs

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood 200 disc player. It does not start many discs and times out and goes to the next disc. It also skips. How do I fix it? Also I have a Kenwood receiver. I would like to connect it to a Sony 200 player. How do I do that?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Regarding the kenwood 200, This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens). If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly. If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement. Should it come to that I'll be happy to advise on options for you. Regarding the reciever/sony, I'm happy to advise on that, but per the terms of the site I must ask that you post this as a separate topic. Thank you,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are several discs that almost never pickup. However, if I turn the player off, say overnight, and then choose one of the discs that almost never pickup, it will pick them up every time. It seems that the mechanism degrades as it heats up. It has been getting progressively worse for about 3 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleaned the lens with isopropyl alcohol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be a weak laser beam?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, absolutely, that is one of the first things I mentioned (bad emitter or pickup) as the laser is a wear item and does have a limited life.It can be replaced, but generally is not practical to do so. There are no longer kenwood parts available directly and repair costs would be more than a new player.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Did you want some help with getting the sony set up with the kenwood amp ?