Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Why am I not getting sound? I am using a Toslink cable from

Customer Question

Why am I not getting sound? I am using a Toslink cable from my Samsung TV to a Klipsch R-10B sound bar. I can switch from TV speakers to external audio. I am getting nothing.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Samsung calls it Speaker Select. 2 choices, TV Speaker or Audio Out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried the headphone jack to the RCA inputs and no luck.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. You're on the right track with setting audio out. Look for an additional setting though to set the audio output format to pcm/stereo, that is most likely what you are missing.Let me know if that works.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried DTS and PCM. Those are my only choices. Nothing. This is supposed to be incredible simple to do.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
What sources/inputs are you using?This may not be a tv issue but a limitation of the source device.If using cable box or satellite for example, make the same audio settings change on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cable. Cable from the wall into TV. Optical cable from TV to sound bar. Sound bar has pwr. indicator lit.TV speakers off. I'm still getting no signal to the optical out apparently.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay so you have basic cable with no cable box.Can you unhook the optical cable and have a look at the optical port on the tv - is there a red light inside?Do you have any other device there, such as a dvd player that you can try direct to the soundbar? This will help us further isolate the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes basic cable. Yes the red light inside the optical port is on. No, I have nothing else to hook up.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Without testing something else it is difficult to properly diagnose the issue.With the tv set to pcm, and with tv speakers disabled, this *should* function. Since it is not, the possibilities are a fault in the tv, a bad (bent/broken fiber inside) optical cable, or a defect in the soundbar.Are you sure the soundbar is properly set to the optical input mode? Can you try even the analog/aux input on the soundbar from your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to wait until tomorrow to unhook it and test it on a computer.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That's fine, take your time. You can bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me when you have a chance.Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see how the testing worked out.