Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My avr5700 shuts off while playing . when I hit the mute it

Customer Question

my avr5700 shuts off while playing . when I hit the mute it comes back.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info. 1) You stated it "shuts off"- do you mean it physically "clicks" and turns off? Or that the sound cuts out? 2) When did this problem occur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sound cuts out. off and on for about two months
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what sources are connected to the receiver (CD, DVD, etc.), and does the sound cut out on ALL sources (including the FM tuner)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only use it for cd
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also, have you tried both disconnecting the receiver from power for several minutes, and also rsetting the processor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, well there's nothing else you can adjust on the receiver that would fix this- as it's hardware related and not setting related. The processor reset was really the only hope we have in a quick fix. This requires repairs to the unit on a hardware level to fix the issue. Most common causes of this fault are a microprocessor failure (most common), or possibly an amp IC or capacitor that's drifting out of spec. Unless you have a schematic, and prior experience repairing electronics on a PCB level- this isn't something that you can likely fix yourself. Average cost for this type of repair is in the $200 range through Denon, and since this is quite an older unit, they may or may not have parts available for it. I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix. If you'd like you can also try a private shop using the link below: www.stereorepair.com If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?