Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a HP Envy. My BOSE SoundLink Mini is paired and connected

Customer Question

I have a HP Envy. My BOSE SoundLink Mini is paired and connected - but no music is coming out?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I presume that they are paired and connected by Bluetooth.
The HP Envy tablet/hybrid is presumably supposed to be sending sound over the Bluetooth link, from some sound playing app.
I recommend that you install the Bose Soundlink software on the HP Envy tablet/hybrid.
Also make sure the volume control is not on minimum, and not set to Mute, on either the Bose Soundlink Mini, the Windows Volume Control, nor the app you are playing music from on the HP Envy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not on mute. The only bose software I found you need to connect with usb to laptop. The Soundlink mini does not come with usb connector
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Of course - it's a Bluetooth speaker, after all.
Is your Bose Soundlink Mini new, or Used? have you used it before and verified it as working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
been working. I disabled bluetooth on the laptop inadvertantly. When I reenable the speaker connects but doesn't receive
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
How did you disable Bluetooth? (with software control, incidentally as a consequence of some other software action), or through BIOS controls, or through Device Manager ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thought I just turned it off, but I guess not. had a friend reactivate it.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
So are you sure that you are both paired and connected to the Bose speaker, via Bluetooth? does the speaker itself indicate a connection in any way? I suspect you might have activated firewall protection (or a similar block) on the connection to your speaker. Be sure you give the Bose speaker full permission to communicate by Bluetooth.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does get connected as the computer show 'connected' to the soundlink and the 'blue'light turns white on the bose. how would i check the firewall and why would it connect but not send sound?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
It might be a different channel or 'port'. The simplest way is to find out what firewall your computer has on it, then go to that firewall program and (temporarily!) set it to be Off. Test your Bluetooth connection to the speaker, see if sound gets through, then set the firewall to On again, very soon. After that... if the speaker worked that way, the firewall is blocking it, if it isn't blocking it then the speaker won't work with the firewall temporarily Off either. When you connect, do you get prompted to grant permission to the Bluetooth device for communication? such a permission is necessary for full-scale data exchange.(And, though this is too basic to mention, almost: Do you pair with the speakers first, then connect?)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it pairs. shutting off the firewall did no good. That is the only thing I had not done from all that you suggested so far. still no good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have to go right now. if you can find anything else i can do i will log in tomrrow.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Since I haven't had any idea about this case for some time, I may need to open it to other Experts soon. Do any other devices work with your computer and its Bluetooth facility? can you test it with anything else, in the way of Bluetooth devices? How long ago was the Bose Mini working OK via Bluetooth from this computer? months, weeks, days ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just spoke with the Bose people. In about 5 minutes they got the problem fixed.