Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have sound through apple tv but not through direct tv . I

Customer Question

I have sound through apple tv but not through direct tv . I have a denon system model
avr-1908
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and sorry you're having problems.
I need to ask for more info to solve this.
1) Was the Denon working with DirecTv previously and then stopped?
2) What's the model number of the Denon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes for four years and model number on denon is avr 1908
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Now this can be caused by several things- and the MOST common without a doubt, is a glitch in the DirecTv box's own processing. It can also be caused by a fault in the Denon's processor- but I would rather not reset the receiver to factory defaults at this point. Can you please shut the system down, and then reboot the DTV box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds, plug it back in, then when the box reboots- turn everything back on and see if you have the same problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did that and Direct TV tech came out today and said it is not direct tv. Claims it is the denon rcvr.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay quick test.... First, the Apple TV has sound and works just fine through HDMI to the Denon right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Shut the receiver off and pull the HDMI cable out of the back of the Apple TV box and plug it into the DirecTv box. Leave the port on the Denon the same, and turn everything on, then set the Denon to the Apple TV Input. Let me know if DTV has sound through that Input. Also, how did DTV confirm the issue was not their box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Elaborate- "nothing".
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You mean no sound, no picture no sound??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pic no sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had to manually turn on the direct tv box and now we are getting pic and sound
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you definitely need to turn on the box. So there's sound in this port, but not in the other one right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we did what you told us so yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only one speaker is working out of 5
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
1 speaker out of 5 ONLY with the DirecTv box, or on ANY Input you play on the Denon? Details are paramount please elaborate with your responses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the tv works with one speaker
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
What does "just the TV" mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we did exactly what you told us to do and now we get picture and sound out of one speaker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
obviously apple tv can't work because we just unplugged the hdmi cable
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I thought it would have been apparent I meant WHEN the Apple TV was plugged in (previously, as in when you used it before), if there was only one speaker working. It seems we're unable to communicate effectively here, so I will opt out and allow other experts to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then I guess we are not interested since we don't want to sit at the computer for the next 24 hrs
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142