Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

My denon avr 1911 display wont turn on

Customer Question

my denon avr 1911 display wont turn on
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, the described symptom particularly if all external/settings checks/tries have been attempted would point to an internal hardware issue.
Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even a soldering iron?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DIY, yes and yes
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Great on the DIY!
The display module in this model works just like the old vacuum tubes; i.e. it needs a filament voltage for the heater to work that then excites the gas inside for the display to glow/show.
Test/diagnosis would involve working on the inside with the unit turned on. Bear with me as I have to ask; would you be comfortable proceeding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm comfortable proceeding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter on hand.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Would you be able to open the unit to gain access to the front panel circuit board? If yes, can you please try locating connector CP101? ...and then cautiously test for the the presence & consistency of AC voltage between pins 1 & 2?
A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the Denon be plugged in turned on and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.562 v at pin one 1.546v at pin 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steady voltage
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
What is your voltage reading between pins 1 & 3 of connector CP101 (and not to ground)?
Still, this AC voltage feeds a resistor block that then feeds pins 1 & 17 of the display module. Can you please trace/follow the voltage through the resistors? ...and then to pins 1 & 17 of U100?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Please also consider/try re-soldering pins 1 and 17 of U100. The pins may require a bit of cleaning/scraping for the solder to flow nicely.