Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Having problems getting ANY audio from my AVR-1708. Can you

Customer Question

Having problems getting ANY audio from my AVR-1708. Can you asssist?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, has a RESET been done? Is there also no audio when in AM or FM mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Yes. You should be able to acces the pwners manual at Denon at Denon.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Tried the hard reset. Can try again, but the main issues are that I get error messages saying that the HDMI is not hooked in when it should be a function f the receiver function I choose since the components are plugged into it and there is only one HDMY going out to the TV. I also have an optical out from the tV going to a sound bar beneath the TV. I have now plugged my DVD into the the 2nd HDMI TV port so it would work but that's not the way it should work theoretically. Got me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You tink I should unplug EVRYTHING and plug them back in, is there a CERTAIN ORDER?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other issues. Was a RESET tried? If yes, was it not corrective? And is there also no audio in either AM or FM mode? And if it would be an internal hardware issue, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even a soldering iron? Equally important, could you make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont want the call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was producing sound before, prior to the HDMI set-up, so it outputs sound, so what could be preventing it from providing sound to the channels?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Please allow time for me to read your post, compose my own reply before posting again. Multiple replies is rather confusing. Let's try again; is this a first time set up? Is there sound in AM or FM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I know how to use a soldering iron and have access to the manual, but the point is you are not giving me any explanation why it was working before and now it doesn't. Prior, it was using RCA jacks, now it just has HDMI, and why would it ask / require that an additionalc comonent liie the DVD have a different source oif its plugged into the receiver? The receiver should be the primary output to the TV, period, correct? Therefore, all i should ahave to do is switch the the function on the receiver and it should send that signal to the TV as well as receive the audio signal and send it out to my speakers. Am i missing anythung here?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
As posted above, let's try again.It was working using analog/RCA connections; i.e. video and audio in = video to the TV and sound from the Denon connected speakers. Connections was changed to HDMI only? Video still good at the TV but no sound from the Denon speakers? But still works in AM and FM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sort of. I had the HDMI taking care of the video and using RCA for audio, using the "CDR" rca inputs on the rceiver. Thta does not make sense but it worked. THe HDMI is bi-direxctional and shold send the signal boyh ways, correct?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately not exactlyas normally expected with HDMI signals with an AVR-1708. Have you seen p. 58 of the owner's manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Let me refer
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Yes please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the manual up. What is your point?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The HDMI input audio signal are not played by the AVR-1708. Aside from the HDMI connection (for the video), it would require a second connection just for the audio. Has this been tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw the matrix. How would HDMI not support audio, that is the whole idea behind the ytechnology; its a combined a/v signal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If what you're saying is true, then the only option I have is to use RCA cords to atach the to receiver as the optical are designated as "VCR" and "CDR"
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Agree; the HDMI carries the audio however, this Denon model does not have the hardware to extract the HDMI audio and convert it into 5.1 channel analog audio. And yes, an RCA/analog audio connection would still be needed together with the HDMI connections. Could you give this a try please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that correct? Just plug in RCA cords into the TV inputs? If so, I still have the issue of not being able to produce any audio, so at least focus on that please;it looks like I need another receiver then. I have a friend who is a technophile and was convinced that the HDMI should work. Are you sure you have properly diagnosed the issue?
For now, I just want sound, so let's focus on that. Can we?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Otherwise, I will have to report that I did not receive any information I did not already know or receive any asistance that addressed my problem. Know what I mean?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
You knew that the AVR-1708 would not play HDMI audio beforehand? ...then why post the question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not. And I don't appreciate the insinuation. I am screen shotting your comment and sending to customer service. You provided no service worth paying for. There is NO WAY I AM PAYING for THIS; your communication skills require sophistication And you should have asked more prognostic questions from the get-go. You are are unfortunately a bad analyst. Have a nice day.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Noted!The question would be re-opened by my opting out and the whole thread would be viewable by other members of the site.Still, good luck with your concern.This is not an Info Request.