Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a pioneer vsx 1122 And my sound keeps going on and out on all hdmi linked d

Customer Question

Hello
I have a pioneer vsx 1122
And my sound keeps going on and out on all hdmi linked devices, dvr, dvd etc
L and R icon next to auto hdmi link in left part of unit screen keeps blinking
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Do you have issues with the sound from any non hdmi sources, such as the pioneer internal fm tuner, red/white connections from a tape/cd player, etc?Is the video interrupted at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read online this is likely a firmware issue and I tried resetting the unit to no luck.I don't want to waste your time nor my money if I am still going to have to take this unit to a repair shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The error is UE22
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're correct, it is a firmware related issue. This was a very common defect with this model/series. You can try a microprocessor reset, and manually reloading the firmware, but if that does not resolve the issue then it is coming down to a control board fault or corrupted firmware.That cannot be resolved, and would require extensive repairs that simply aren't practical. You'd be looking at having the main control board replaced, which will run you about $400. Once you're past the warranty, it's not even worth fixing, as you can buy a brand new and updated receiver with a fresh warranty in the same price range.You could of course try to keep using it with the analog connections only if it will let you. I can explain more about alternate connections if you'd like, help find a repair shop, or recommend replacement options, whichever you prefer.Best regards, ***** ***** for the news.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in process of downloading the firmware to usb file. Hopefully this uploads easily but we will see I guess
In case this doesn't work what is a top of the line receiver for a 7.2 kef sound system. A smart unit is important
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I would go with a Denon. Denon/Marantz are the best receivers (in my opinion - as a custom installer who has put in hundreds of high end home theaters).If you don't mind last years model (nothing at all wrong with it, just doesn't have some of the very latest things like dolby atmos, that you'd need new/special speakers for anyway), you can get a pretty smoking deal on one of these while there are still a few left: http://amzn.to/1Rnqk4qPlenty of power for your speakers, smart features, reliable, easy to set up, and most importantly it has a 3 year warranty and most of the parts are made in Japan.It's a far cry from the chinese made stuff in the pioneer, with the high failure rate from known problems, that is only backed up by a 1 year warranty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 70" aquos quattron 3d and kef q900 towers and 10" subs. Will the one you referenced power these?Also, is there a step up from this model....
What are the most important features on a new unit in your experience?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there certainly are other options. I was just trying to keep it in the more mid range price.The http://amzn.to/1TpiODw would be one step up, and adds slightly more power. At 105w/ch it is still more than enough to drive your kef speakers.I'm assuming your subs are powered on their own anyway, so there is no issue with that. What I'd be looking for is >90w/ch, wired ethernet connectivity, a setup mic, 4k passthrough or upconversion, hdmi2.0 at a minimum.As a "nice to have" feature for future expansion, I'd look for the dolby atmos functionality as well as hdcp2, but that is a significant step up: http://amzn.to/1L0KPOTI'm planning to get one of those myself shortly to replace a 4520, their prior flagship model.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for all your help!! The firmware update didn't work.I just purchased the first unit you referred.
Do Think this unit is better then the one I just had mess up? I assume soAlso, anything else I might need
Thanks again
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, and sorry that didn't work out. It was at least worth a shot though.I think the denon is better, yes. It has a more stable power supply architecture, a better warranty, and the sound will be better as well, as it's easier to properly calibrate than the pioneer was. Just remember to go through the full setup process when you get it, with the included setup mic. The more times you run it, in different positions, the better it will work. Best of luck to you. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1NTiEkV Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan