Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Yamaha rx-v671 receiver. The unit is getting power

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha rx-v671 receiver. The unit is getting power but will not power up. There is a small red light that is lit located beside power button
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. How long have you owned the Yamaha for and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage, or after the unit was moved/new equipment connected, etc.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 years. No storm related outage
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what I'm trying to find out is this- was the unit working then shut itself off with the standby light? Was it working fine before and then you shut it off, and it refused to turn on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked this afternoon and apparently shut itself off
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, please unplug the Yamaha from power, then remove the speaker wire connections and the HDMI connections from the unit. Plug the receiver back in (leaving these connections unplugged), then let me know if it will physically power up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please try these steps per Yamaha's troubleshooting for this unit: Resetting/Initializing the receiver to factory settings Warning: This will erase all settings and return the unit to its original factory settings. Note: This procedure is done on the front panel of the receiver only. 1. Set the unit to Standby by pressing the Power button.2. While holding down the Straight button, press the Power button.3. SP IMP. 8 Ohm Min (Or 6 ohm) will come up on the Front Panel.4. Press the Right Program Arrow button repeatedly until INIT-CANCEL comes up.5. Press the Straight Button repeatedly until INIT-ALL comes up.6. Press the Standby button to turn off the receiver.7. The next time the receiver is powered on, the factory settings will take effect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the straight button
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
On the front of the receiver, you don't see a button labeled "Straight"?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to find it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found it but not getting a response. If you hold power button down long enough the standby light goes out and I briefly got "device error" msg
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you weren't supposed to hold Power Down at all. Unplug the unit and plug it back in. Press and hold "Straight" while pressing power once time and releasing power (but keep holding Straight).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing at all
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately those are the only possible steps on a user level you can try to get the receiver working again. If there's no change, this is a processor failure and requires service to the Yamaha. This is something that needs to be addressed by a Yamaha service center, and the average cost is in the $200 range (parts and labor). http://usa.yamaha.com/dealers/service_locator/index.html I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this question?