Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I want to connect my AppleTV to my pioneer receiver so that

Customer Question

I want to connect my AppleTV to my pioneer receiver so that I hear the sound from the speakers and not the TV
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me the model number of your pioneer?Can you tell me how things are connected now? (ie: appletv plugged into tv via hdmi)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi...the receiver is a VSX-21txhCurrently, the AppleTV is connected to the receiver via HDMI to HDMI2 and then the receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI. I only get sound from the TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other sources connected to the pioneer, such as a cable/satellite box, dvd, etc?Do those come through the tv speakers too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blueray is connected to the BD HDMI connection and plays through the surround sound speakers. There is also a cable box connected through the HDMI that only plays through the TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for confirming.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Start out with the Pioneer set to the input mode you normally use for the appletvGrab your pioneer remote and press the RECEIVER button, then the Audio Parameter button.Scroll up/down to the HDMI setting, and set it to AMPLIFIER (not to Through).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Did that. Now, no sound out of TV, but now sound out of speakers either.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
And you're positive that the appletv is plugged into the pioneer directly, not into the tv, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I switch to say he cable box (HDMI 1), same thing. Picture, no sound.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay press the home menu button on remote,then go to System Setup, then Input SetupWhat do you see there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing. there is a message on the receiver that blinks "not available" when I press the home buttong
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You may need to press the RECEIVER button first once more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...let me try that. unfortunately, i need to go take care of something with the kids for a sec. hold on
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, take your time.What you are looking for on that screen is a setting to put the audio input on HDMI.The alternative (that causes it not to work right) is when it is on analog, opt, or coax.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,